Author Topic: Bruce Gilden "Head On"  (Read 2526 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Bruce Gilden "Head On"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:56 AM »
Cool.  Thanks.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:07:52 AM »
Well, this was quite a thing. It was really interesting to listen him speaking about photography in general and street photography in particular. I was pretty surprised about his quite "aggressive" style when shooting. And well, the reaction he got from the woman it's quite understandable. To shoot in such a close distance I think it's something else than just shooting in public space. I did not know him and looked for his shots, and some of them look pretty amazing. I really like street photography, specially directed to people; but my shooting style has become slower and slower, interacting more and more with the people. Not saying it's better of worse (and not comparing my shots with his  ;). I guess everyone gets comfortable with one or other shooting style, and you also go through stages. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing  ;D

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
He's a Magnum photog and I've never heard of him before. I love his work. Really great stuff. Thanks for sharing Phil!
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
There are a couple of cool videos of him on youtube, shooting in New York. Well worth a look. I don't have access at work so I can't post  :-[

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
interesting video. i'm an avid fan of daido moriyama so once i heard bruce say his name i knew it was worth checking out. glad i did lol.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
Pretty cool :) I had never heard of him til now.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
Bruce is a good photographer and is fearless.

If he tried this approach in South Philly he'd be picking his teeth off the sidewalk within ten minutes.   ;)

Jeff

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
there's a lot more to Bruce Gilden - check out the Magnum podcasts/essays in case you've not seen them.

here are some that i like on Haiti, housing foreclosures & Texan Republicans.

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/haiti-now-and-every-day

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/detroit-troubled-city

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/bruce-has-ball

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted on the forum before but relating to the topic of Brucen Gilden and agressive photographers:

A discussion on photography

This guy here says he's influenced by Bruce Gilden...

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »

Really? I found him quite disagreeable. Some people can carry it off and others can't.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »

Really? I found him quite disagreeable. Some people can carry it off and others can't.

I don't know how someone hasn't punched him in the face yet! At least Bruce Gilden has some pretty awesome pictures.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »
There are several young photographers trying to make a name for themselves by videoing their version of this schtick (while name dropping Gilden of course), but I think he's the first to claim that he's a perfectionist and the Magnum guy isn't.  I especially enjoyed that part, so I surfed to Pires's web page and it was enlightening.

I happened to notice his subjects targets didn't include construction workers, body builders or people carrying lead pipes; wonder why.  :-)

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
I'm a fan and proponent of street photography, but this (Pires), even more than Gilden, seems closer to assault. Not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
There are several young photographers trying to make a name for themselves by videoing their version of this schtick (while name dropping Gilden of course), but I think he's the first to claim that he's a perfectionist and the Magnum guy isn't.  I especially enjoyed that part, so I surfed to Pires's web page and it was enlightening.

I happened to notice his subjects targets didn't include construction workers, body builders or people carrying lead pipes; wonder why.  :-)

Nothing special about the pics showed in the vid.  Ho-hum.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:26 AM »
A friend of mine emailed me an ebook about a photographer who was doing street photography at close distance and then claimed everything it was about having "balls". The reading was quite "enligthening". If anybody has the patience (or balls  ::)) to read here it is... Now I think this might have been posted before  :'(

http://fstoppers.com/two-free-books-on-street-photography

Photographer Thomas Leuthard, and a quotation from him:

" When I first shot people from a really close distance my heart really went
mad. Now I can do it without feeling a difference in my heartbeat."

Nothing personal on him, still I think his shots are much better than Mr. Pires one.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:30:03 AM by calbisu »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
Nothing personal on him, still I think his shots are much better than Mr. Pires one.

Much better. Very good, but, it does bring into focus (pun intended  ;D) the difference between the good and the great.