Author Topic: New Lives for Instamatic Cameras: One of My Current Projects  (Read 3727 times)

Fragomeni

• 35mm
    • Fragomeni Fine Art Photography
Hi all. Just wanted to share this with you all. This week I've been working on modifying old cheap Instamatic cameras. It started off with the simple desire to modify them to take 35mm film and it's grown quickly into some Frankenstein creations that I think are pretty cool. The first modification was to a Kodak Hawkeye Instamatic from the mid to late 1960's. Sample images aren't up yet but here is a link to my description of that modification. The second modification was to a 1980's Sears Easi-Load 126-X Instamatic and this time I mated an Argus Sandmar wide angle 35mm f4.5 lens with focusing ability and variable f-stops to the camera. Here is the link to that description and some small sample images. Excuse the small images. Since I still don't have my scanner up (I know I know....) I had to photograph the negatives on my light table to get them into Photoshop.

If you guys have any ideas for other mods I could experiment with do share! I've got a couple more things up my sleeve but I'll have to wait till all the pieces parts arrive ;D
Francesco Fragomeni
www.francescofragomeni.com

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: New Lives for Instamatic Cameras: One of My Current Projects
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
I'd be interested to see how you did, I have a boxed instamatic at home that can have some life ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Lawrie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
Good work Francesco! I really like what you are doing.

Regards,

Lawrie.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for a new one...
The one I had was unfixable...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Fragomeni

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
I'd be interested to see how you did, I have a boxed instamatic at home that can have some life
Its pretty simple to get the Instamatic cameras to work with 35mm. It requires two things: 1) disassembly of the camera to either remove or disable the shutter release button blocking mechanism, and 2) an empty 126 film cartridge. Disassembly of most Instamatic designs is pretty straight forward and the cameras are very simple mechanisms so if you're handy and have a minimum of knowledge regarding how a camera works you'll be fine. Just remember how things look and go together before you take the whole thing apart. Inside of the film compartment typically at the top of the film gate where each frame is exposed, there is a tooth which is designed to catch a sprocket hole in the 126 film designed for the camera. (126 film is exactly the same as 35mm except the sprocket holes are fewer and father apart.) You have to disable the mechanism that this tooth is attached to by either removing it entirely or modifying it i.e. cutting parts of it. Once that is done, the camera's shutter will be armed when the film advance lever is advanced and the lever will be able to be advanced as many times as you like which means you will be able to avoid overlapping frames which is what happens if you dont remove the tooth and its corresponding mechanism. Re-spool some 35mm into the 126 cartridge and you're good to go.

Good work Francesco! I really like what you are doing.
Thank you!  :D
Francesco Fragomeni

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
yeah i've made an effort to do this before, but i still have plenty of actual unused 126 film, so it hasn't been a priority!

i assume you managed to find an empty cartridge? i must have thrown mine away. i probably have a kodacolor-x somewhere that you could use.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Fragomeni

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
Yea I found a couple and I'll try and find a few more to have as back ups. Its working pretty well. They're fun little cameras!
Francesco Fragomeni

dqmarkham

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:30 PM »
Hi, I got inspired to try and breathe some life into a Rollei A26, I followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhM7McQOpc#ws]35mm Film in 126 Cartridge

And I'm pretty pleased with how it came out!

The film advance overlapped every shot (as mentioned in the post above). Hopefully I can figure out the advance so I can work around it in the future. I'm loathe to take the Rollei apart so maybe a lens cap and advancing a few shots would work.

Cheers

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
I haven't got one to play with but from the video it looks like you could cut the feed side from the 126 cartridge so you can save all the respooling and just put the 35 cartridge in the camera. You might have to cut off the part of the 35mm spool that sticks out. Anyone got one they can look at?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »

Damn it ! just gone and bought an Instamatic haven't I !!!  ( Itwas on 99p and I have one 126 cart from the 80's to try out)