Author Topic: More grain than you can shake a stick at  (Read 1230 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
More grain than you can shake a stick at
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
Well, after the small grain creation discussion, I thought I'd give a go at one of the techniques I described. So, since yesterday happened to be Labor day, I decided to get to work and test things out. Since I had no in date Tri-X, I gave it a go with some expired bulk loaded HP5 instead. The film being old and not having any information about it's true expiry date, I tested it and it looked OK at about EI 200. So, to put chance on my side, I only exposed it at EI 1600. The day was a bit rainy. I had a new camera to test out. And an old timey traditional workmanship festival was on, so I set out to test the process. I took a lot of dog pictures too... they looked better than some of the stands :)

So, when I came back I rushed in the darkroom to get it all processed. The process I tried does take a heck of a lot of chemistry! HC-110 diluted 1+12 at 90°F had me a bit worried... I was afraid that the emulsion might start peeling... but it didn't. And when everything was done, surprise! There was a very distinct image on the negative! That was a 3 stop push in super hot developer. The base of the film is a uniform 18% gray card color. Printing through it makes the enlargement times quite long. For printing at grade 6 for maximum grain requires times in the 160 second range at f/5.6 just to fill a 5x7 print... not too convenient.

But anyways, here are a few of the images to show the grain... and you haven't seen what the grain looks like up close!

These images were scanned without any sharpening or grain reduction. Curves are not adjusted either.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: More grain than you can shake a stick at
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
nicely done Francois.

Now  - what paper are you using?  I've never heard of MG paper that goes up to grade 6?  Is that like Nigel Tufnel's Marshall ;)

Spinal Tap - These Go Up To 11
L.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
That is some serious grain! Love it!! And I love all the doggy pix!
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
You're right Leon, it is grade 5. But on my color head, it's 130M...
From memory though, I think the old Kodak papers used to go up to 6... but that was so long ago...

I also have a set of now useless Ilford Multigrade 1 filters that go up to 7 :)

Here are some more from the roll.
A horse and a 2400dpi sample from the pug image...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:30:13 PM by Francois »
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
This is nice Francois... I'm not a huge fan of grain (even though I love Anton Corbijn work!) but these pictures has got some really good effect.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
Mauricio, for good use of grain try and hunt down Robert Frank's London photos shot in the mid 1950's; they are absolutely stunning. here's a link to a scan http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfzf09tt6P1qzhl9eo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1315483363&Signature=T3mpMIM61mk2EGO3OW%2BeeXiRzQ8%3D but it doesn't even start to compare with how good the grain looked on the prints I saw at the Tate Modern exhibition about 8 years ago.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
What I just love about big grain is that it can be so effective at creating a feel for the image. Had that Robert Frank picture been shot on grainless low sensitivity film, I'm not sure it would have had the impact it has now.
Francois