Author Topic: Still on the expired film subject...  (Read 2798 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Still on the expired film subject...
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
For the past few weeks I've been trying to buy some expired films and as Ed pointed out before, the prices are getting insane. Still managed getting some reasonable prices, like £15.00 (including postage) on a couple of vacuum sealed box of 25 Ilford 4x5. The plate box with 12 was about £6.00 and fits nicely in my Voigtlander plate camera. No chances for single 35mm or 120 though...

I also scored for £10.00 (including postage) a 200 FT Ilford 35mm bulk Cine Film, in which I haven't got a clue yet how I'm going to process this. 

I've loaded some darkslides and I shall be testing the Ilford 4x5 soon... I know the chances are that nothing will come out and that maybe I should have spent on a brand new box for double of the price but hey..., that would be less fun  :D
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Still on the expired film subject...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
Good stuff, Mauricio. That certainly looks like an interesting collection of goodies and I hope you have a lot of success with the various formats. I'm sure someone here will have a view on how to process that cine film.

I went to the Wimbledon car boot sale this morning and picked up some film at very reasonable prices. 12 rolls of generic C41 and a pack of Polaroid Type 500....all for £6. Now that's what I'm talking about!
 ;) ;)

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
That's brilliant Ed! ... great found :)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Great find guys!
Ed: I just love the graphics on these rolls of 35mm :)

Mauricio: My guess is the cine film is really some old Pan-F... but Terry might be able to certify this.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »

Mauricio: My guess is the cine film is really some old Pan-F... but Terry might be able to certify this.

Will it be ok to process as any normal B&W neg? The seal label says "cine film"...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
Since Ilford never made color film, it's going to be OK for regular chemistry.
One thing you could do is spool-up a cassette and take the entire roll with the same scene. Process like you think it should be and then check for the exposure that looks OK... I did that on some mystery film which turns out to be HP5 that's good at about 100-200 ISO (I can't make up my mind on which one to use :) )
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
Since Ilford never made color film, it's going to be OK for regular chemistry.
One thing you could do is spool-up a cassette and take the entire roll with the same scene. Process like you think it should be and then check for the exposure that looks OK... I did that on some mystery film which turns out to be HP5 that's good at about 100-200 ISO (I can't make up my mind on which one to use :) )

That's a quite good idea... I'm about to lock myself in the toilet and put the film into the loader I bought ages ago because it was £0.99 and had a nice original box from the 60's... suddenly my wife doesn't think I'm that crazy anymore... :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:57:06 PM by sapata »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »
Craziness is a big part of any hobby...
Just like when I bought some extension tubes... my mom was thinking that I had lost my mind buying a lens without any glass in it :) Until I told her what they were  ;D

Same thing happened when I showed her I had bought a bulk loader. She told me I didn't have any bulk film... until I told her the bulk loader had some film left in it...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:25:20 PM by Francois »
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
Since Ilford never made color film,.....

Actually, Francois, they made Ilfochrome which was, IMO, a very nice slide film with quite saturated colours. Sadly, it could not compete with Kodachrome, Agfa or even Fuji but it was definitely a colour film.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »
I like that dixon film box never really thunk it. I like how the swish crescent shape makes it look look the film is unraveling from the spool.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
Actually, Francois, they made Ilfochrome which was, IMO, a very nice slide film with quite saturated colours. Sadly, it could not compete with Kodachrome, Agfa or even Fuji but it was definitely a colour film.
Never seen this film... For a long time, Ilford had only a small place on the shelves compared to big yellow...
Even GAF was more popular than Ilford around here!

I still have a part of a GAF Anscochrome box somewhere...
Francois

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
Mauricio did you shoot anyof that Ilford Pan film? its soooo old! Did it still work? Foggy? I have a spool of Ilford Mark-v film from the 70s, foggy as a cold morning, but still works with a bit of extra processing tips that i got from form Leon and Francoi

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
Mauricio did you shoot anyof that Ilford Pan film? its soooo old! Did it still work? Foggy? I have a spool of Ilford Mark-v film from the 70s, foggy as a cold morning, but still works with a bit of extra processing tips that i got from form Leon and Francoi

Hi Leon... I'm about to post some results with the 4x5 Ilford as they came out great. I just came back from the park as is my day off and I shoot a few frames of the 35mm cinefilm to try, just waiting to get dark so I can get the film in tank and hopefully still process tonight...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com