Author Topic: On the Pull.... Kodak tri-x 400 at 50?!  (Read 3755 times)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
On the Pull.... Kodak tri-x 400 at 50?!
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
Hey y'all, just got back from a trip to uncle monty's cottage in the lakes. thankfully the "terrible c**t" didnt break in in the middle of the night :-P

anyway I ordered a load of kodak tri-x 400 120 for my mamiya as I have never tried it before. I shot one roll at 100 *there are times for that in rodinal on massive dev chart* but I also shot a roll at 50.

just a few questions about how forgiving this film is pulled that far if anyone could give me some ideas on the best dillution and dev times in rodinal. Im guessing around 5 mins at 1+50 but im not familiar with this film so wouldnt want to guess.

also shot some new portra 400 at 50 and some old portra 160nc at 50 (i know i have problems... WHY NOT SHOOT AT BOX SPEED, you seem to say) I like slow film so I can wang my lovely lens wide open as I am a shallow DOF NUT! Also as the rest were landscapes I quite fancied doing some slightly longer exposures at f32 than I normally would in the daytime (im a landscape novice and was just experimenting really). anyway sorry if this is covered elsewhere on the net. sometimes its just nice to have some real life filmwasters to ask + maybe even see some results.

**DISCLAIMER** I didnt actually stay in Uncle monty's cottage from withnail and I, it was my sisters Fiance's great uncles place.... we have our suspisions of him though, dont even get me started on the "adventures of the black cock" section of the photo album we found.....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:47:57 PM by thom_stone »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: On the Pull.... Kodak tri-x 400 at 50?!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Hopefully, you're talking about poultry...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
Hey y'all, just got back from a trip to uncle monty's cottage in the lakes. thankfully the "terrible c**t" didnt break in in the middle of the night :-P

Love it. My fave film (Withnail, not the tri x)

Firstly, why aren't you using ilford films? traitor. ;)

overexposed by 3 stops in a normal dev.  try a slow working dev like perceptol and cut dev time by about 20% it will only be 2 stops overexposed, which will undoubtedly be mostly coped with by the films latitude. Make use of multigrade filters if you are printing and you'll be fine. If you're scanning, you'll be fine anyway.
L.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »
Hopefully, you're talking about poultry...

haha well lets just say no and leave it at that.....

Love it. My fave film (Withnail, not the tri x)

Firstly, why aren't you using ilford films? traitor. ;)

Withnail rocks, we actually watched it while we were there. When I realised I didnt have any proper shoes for walking my dad says "'You mean you've been up here in all this beastly mud and oomska without wellingtons?" :-P then we went to hawkshead and he bought me some real nice walking boots and didnt even need a pair of blues... just one (reduced from £80 :-) didnt get to drink my wellie money though :-(

Decided to venture into something other than good old ilford. have heard good things about tri-x in rodinal so thought I'd check it out. Also it was cheap on Discountfilmsdirect on ebay. Dont worry I did shoot a roll of Ilford PanF also :-P Cheers for the advice anyway leon. I will try and get some funds together for some perceptol but think i may have to do the 100 roll in rodinal out of impatience :-p have no means of scanning them anyway so will have to pop over to my uncles to commandeer his Epson v750 before the next weekend thread.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
Withnail and I ... Quite an experience for a foreigner. Especially so without subtitles :)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
Haha I can only imagine! Just watching an episode of fraiser with richard E. Grant in it. He's so great, guna have to track down some more of his films.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
Withnail and I ... Quite an experience for a foreigner. Especially so without subtitles :)

Urban - You think Withnail is an experience?  See if you can get hold of a British comedy series called "The League of Gentlemen"   ;D
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »

Urban - You think Withnail is an experience?  See if you can get hold of a British comedy series called "The League of Gentlemen"   ;D

good point Matt! that show is quite the mind bender. love it though, was thinking of rewatching it again soon actually, we were reciting quotes from it in the car home the other day :-P

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
I have only gotten as far as Monty Python's Flying Circus, Keeping up Appearances, Jeeves and Wooster, and Yes Minister.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »
this might be going around the whole thing but.... nd filters? ;)

actually, I just wanted to post so I could chime in on the withnail & I nostalgia ;D
trainspotting and other films had me prepared enough to understand what was said! haha
/jonas

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Its true I could fork out for an ND filter but I'm Lazy and am trying to sustain hobbies of music/photography/motorbiking on a labourers wage :-P + I like messing around with film speeds, its fun to see what film can do. Hmm I have just had a look on ebay and the ND filters for 77mm arent anywhere near as expensive as I thought. just another thing to add to the list of stuff I "need" though.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
If you need a very dark ND filter, consider a welder's glass... or two polarizer stacked (or taped) so they could turn very dark.

According to the Basic guide to creative darkroom techniques, for high contrast scenes, you can take any film, expose it at ¼ of its sensitivity and develop for ½ the normal time. They say it allows you to record the most contrasty daylight scenes in extremely fine detail. They say it will put you in the ballpark.

I think that's closer to what you were looking for in the first place.
Francois

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
well just souped the 3 rolls of black and white I shot at the weekend, ilford pan-f looks fine, kodak tri-x 400 at 100 (7:30 in rodinal 1:50) look great and I decided to just guess the tri-x 400 at 50 so did it for 6:30. the rodinal label said tri-x 400 at 20c was 14minutes at 1:50 (massive dev chart says 13 but hey) and by your rule francois that means it should be 7 minutes at 50 iso, but as the massive dev chart recommended 7:30 for 100 iso I decided to go a bit quicker to 6:30 and it looks fine!

one thing tho all three rolls have a slight purple tint, the ilford looks like it normally does when I dev it (very slight tint) the kodaks look quite a bit more purple, Is this my fix? I fixed the 50iso roll a little longer and it seems to have reduced the purple a tad  but not a great deal. is this just how the negs of this film look?

will do a test scan when the negs are dry, will have to be a 3 strip scan and stitch in photoshop... if i can get it working today.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Could it be some leftover anti-halation layer?
Francois