Author Topic: Focusing Screen Replacement?  (Read 3863 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Focusing Screen Replacement?
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
I know a number of us have previously discussed focusing screens, and good sources of upgrades and replacements. Following Sean's comments my Buroni wasn't as bright in some lighting conditions as other screens, I ordered a replacement and made the two or three simple steps to replace.

A great deal better, and with the source being particularly reliable and accurate the job was easy and the results pleasing. Details here: Buroni Focusing Screen Upgrade.

If you operate a focusing screen device, a thoroughly recommended, and easy step. See ya! Skj.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:02:17 PM by Skorj »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: Focusing Screen Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »
So how about the Yashica Mat? I thought it had a reasonably bright screen, but compared to the Primo Jr it's very dark. Would replacing the screen help here? And I guess cleaning the finder, too?

Urban

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:45:35 AM »
So how about the Yashica Mat? I thought it had a reasonably bright screen, but compared to the Primo Jr it's very dark. Would replacing the screen help here? And I guess cleaning the finder, too?
Yup. I would pull apart, clean, and consider a replacement screen. Note to though, the brightness of a focusing screen is also a function of the Fresnel lens behind the screen.

Some screen functions do not have a Fresnel though, and easily benefit from a ground glass replacement. Skj.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »
the yashica has a rectangular glass, though, so it would have to be custom cut.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
the yashica has a rectangular glass, though, so it would have to be custom cut.

That's true. I might go for one from Rick Oleson. That seems to be the recommended choice from what I found on the net.

Urban

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »
There's always this option
DIY

Or ripping apart an old 8mm film editor. Their screens have a fresnel lens on the back most of the time.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

chris_n

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
my rb67 screen is a bit dusty and could use a good cleaning, however i'm not sure how fragile these are as the manual says to not even clean it with a cloth but to just use a blower.

what do you guys recommend?  i have SP lens cleaner which is methanol based --i use this for cleaning lenses and i also have lens specific cleaning papers.

would any of this work?

Terry

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
Chris,
It could be made of plastic--or glass with some kind of coating on it.  Without knowing what its composition is you can't know what might damage it.  I'd do a test on a bit of a corner or some part near the edge that won't do any serious harm to the screen's functionality.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »
Try air in a can. This stuff is powerful and can blast almost any dust out.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.