Author Topic: 5x4 wide angle pinhole  (Read 1868 times)

will_8

• 35mm
5x4 wide angle pinhole
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
I want a 5x4 pinhole camera that is wide enough to create as much image distortion as possible. I have been looking into getting the zero image 5x4 camera (the 25mm one) but it is costly and I would rather build my own. I have made pinhole cameras before (paper, 35mm, 6x6) so I know my way around them.

The problem is that if I made a 25mm 5x4 I would have problems with the image area. I have seen many 25mm zero image pinhole photos that seem to cover the whole image area (unless they are cropped?) so I'm guessing it is possible to achieve. I have looked at previous posts and other websites, including pinhole design websites, but I am still confused about it. Would I be able to make my own or is it worth buying the zero image camera?

astrobeck

Re: 5x4 wide angle pinhole
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »
You could make one easily out of a tin can.
Or go to a home improvement store and get some plastic plumbing pipe pieces and make one.

I've made both and they each work well.

Info Red

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
I don't know what your budget can bear, but a terrific source for All Things Pinhole is Pinhole Resource.  I got a terrific Leonardo 5x4 wide angle pinhole from them for under 90 dollars, and they also carry pre-drilled pinholes, kits, books, other pinhole cameras, and are some of the most helpful folks I've ever dealt with.

Check 'em out at:

http://www.pinholeresource.com/shop/home

IR

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39:07 PM »
Will, this might help Build a 4x5 Pinhole Camera - Part 1

Haven't watched all the episodes but the finished item looks like what you're after.

I have the Zero 5x4 pinhole camera which IMHO is worth the hassle of making one.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

will_8

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the help! I think I will try and make my own - I enjoy making them and I think it will be cheaper than the £100+ ready made cameras.

I am still slightly confused about the image area on 5x4 and how wide I can push it without too much vignetting. For example using http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php a 25mm focal length has 1.89inch image area, but I have seen photos from the zero image camera that seem to cover the whole 5x4 film. Is it just that some come out with full coverage while others don't depending on the conditions?