Author Topic: Anyone here use an Aero Ektar?  (Read 3214 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Anyone here use an Aero Ektar?
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »
I'd like to get an Aero Ektar but have some questions:

It seems like everyone I see (online) using them is using them with a Speed Graphic - is that the only way to use them? I have a Zone VII and am wondering if I could use one with that (so I don't have to buy another camera - which I can't afford right now). But I know it the Aero Ektar doesn't have a shutter in it, so how would I do it (with no shutter in the ZoneVII either)?

Any technical suggestions welcome!

THANKS!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Anyone here use an Aero Ektar?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
I have seen a Pentax 67 with an Aero Ektar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsevilla/3534086429/#

I guess that if there is a MF camera that can hold the Aero Ektar, that is the Pentax 67  ;D

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:45 AM »
I use one with a Speed Graphic.  I've also seen them attached to the Graflex Super D and other focal plane cameras, but I'm not sure how you'd use without attaching to a camera with a focal plane shutter. 

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:32:14 AM »
yeah i would imagine that the advantage of using the speed graphic is the built in shutter and the fact that it uses a lens board.

i wonder if you could attach one to a bronica?
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
I was hoping there was a way to attach it to my Zone VII 4x5, but it has no focal plane shutter. I guess there's no way to add a focal plane shutter to the Zone VII -  but then I guess that would cost as much as getting a SpeedGraphic in the first place. I was just hoping there was a more economical way to go.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »
i wonder if you could attach one to a bronica?

My suggestion too as the focal plane shutter at the rear mimics a Speed Graphic. Plus, we know you can stick anything on a Buroni...

Skj.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
Or you could always use a Packard Shutter. These are installed on the back of the lens board and even though they are quite primitive (only one shutter speed) they are incredibly reliable and are still in production.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Fragomeni

• 35mm
    • Fragomeni Fine Art Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
People have been using the Aero Ektar for on many different cameras for a long time. It's just recently in the past few years or so that it's become so popular. As other's have stated above, most typically it is fitted to a Speed Graphic. This involves the least amount of modification to use the lens. John Minnicks has perfected what he calls the Aero Liberator which is a modified 3x4 R.B. Graflex Super D that he rebuilds to take the Aero Ektar. His mod takes a significant amount of work and many man hours and is accordingly priced very high. It involves rebuilding the camera with 4x5 Graflock back, and redesigning the mirror so that the lens can focus at infinity and still allow the path of the mirror to be unobstructed.
I've seen them on everything from Speed Graphics to Deardorffs. In addition to Packard shutters they can also be put into various large shutters like the Betax 5 and Ilex 5. I know S.K. Grimes does this but I'm not sure if it reduces the lens's max aperture. The easiest and least expensive route is to put it on something that has a focal plane shutter as others have mentioned. Understand however that some modification will probably be necessary to make it fit almost anything outside of a Speed Graphic.
Francesco Fragomeni
www.francescofragomeni.com