Author Topic: Lomographic society photolab services  (Read 4805 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Lomographic society photolab services
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
Although I think not many people in here will be using,  I thought I'd share...

The lomography society will be launching a photolab system in UK. A few weeks ago I was sent an email for a half price trial service.

The prices will be between £12.00 and £18.00 dependeing on camera/film and includes processing, a cd with your pictures scanned and prints. They will also upload the pictures for you at the lomo website and you'll be sent a code where you can access your pictures online.

I did use the service to try, as I was paying £6.00 I decide to have a go on an expired sensia I had around for ages. It's quite easy but not fast (at least yet), order the service you want and within few days you'll get an pre-paid hard back envelope to send the film back.

After a week I got another hard-back envelope with the negatives, a CD with all the scans in low, medium and hi-resolution as well a Fuji image viwer, which obviously answered my question of what company will be processing the film, and the prints which in my case were 7x5.

The film I sent wasn't really good to test the prints/scan's quality as it was very expired, as a resulyt I got very grainy results, however I scanned myself some of the frames with a higher resolution and got pretty much same thing.

I lost the email with the code with for the access to the online prints, I sent an email back couple of weeks ago asking to be re sent but so far no answer.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Lomographic society photolab services
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »
12 and 18 £ a pop... and I was complaining about my 10.80$ processing!
Granted this one has all the fixings but sheesh...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
12 and 18 £ a pop... and I was complaining about my 10.80$ processing!
Granted this one has all the fixings but sheesh...

I agree... this service is clearly aiming to the people that buy the cameras (and maybe buying a roll of film for the first time!) but don't know what to do after.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
I visited the Lomography store at the north east corner of Spitalfields Market (on Commercial Street near the junction with Lamb Street) a couple of weeks ago.

The processing lab is in the basement. Two seemingly nice chaps run it. It wasn't fully operational at the time but you can get C41 film processed there just now. One of the processing team used to manage a Snappy Snaps franchise but he appeared to know what he was doing and said they were looking to broaden their services asap.

Incidentally, their scanner is an Epson V750 - no sign of drum scanners, so I'll be doing my own - even if I do decide to use them for souping the negs.

I agree with Francois' summation as the clientèle in the shop at the time appeared to be "Filmsters Nouveaux" with those trendy sock type things on their heads, death pall complexions and personality bypasses.

Here's the website link:

http://microsites.lomography.com/stores/gallery-stores/east-london
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
Paul,
 :)you've made my day with that comment about
"personality bypasses".

Good one!  I'll be using that in the future! 

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
Epson V750 ?
It might take a while for the results if the service take off...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Maybe I should get myself a small Jobo processor, use my old Epson 4490 and start myself a business :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
Pass. Genie process and scan for me for less than £12.

£18? They're avin a larf  ;D

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
it might be £18, but think how kool it will be.
L.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
I wonder if the LA store charges the same amount. And I had a friend wondering if she should try their processing services. Im going to warn her against it.
mojave

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
Hey guys, before we all go off spreading the bad word about potential service for actual price, my information relates solely to the Lomo store at Spitalfields which opened at the back end of 2010. The remainder of the stores might be fitted with state-of-the-art drum scanners or other devices capable of producing scans of exceptional quality.

As I already have a V750, I see no point using their scanning services. However, I will still use their processing capability as I don't soup my own right now.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
I hear you LD, but arent those prices kind of outrageous regardless of the type of scanner used?
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »

As I already have a V750, I see no point using their scanning services. However, I will still use their processing capability as I don't soup my own right now.

Paul, if you don't need scanning services I'd suggest the metro imaging for processing, it will cost £7.00 for either 120 or 35mm.

If I'm not wrong Ed recommended an even cheaper option than metro!

What the lomo society is doing is trying to get their customers to buy everything within their comunity... let's not forget there are quite a lot o people that buy their cameras, shot one roll, get bored and forget about it. It is a huge hassle for the cameraphone crowd, they're not quite use to the slow process as everything in their world is quick... it's basicaly shoot and post. Let's not forget that some people has never seen a roll of film before! These people obviously will pay the price for not even having to upload their pictures on their website!
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »

Paul, if you don't need scanning services I'd suggest the metro imaging for processing, it will cost £7.00 for either 120 or 35mm.

If I'm not wrong Ed recommended an even cheaper option than metro!

What the lomo society is doing is trying to get their customers to buy everything within their comunity... let's not forget there are quite a lot o people that buy their cameras, shot one roll, get bored and forget about it. It is a huge hassle for the cameraphone crowd, they're not quite use to the slow process as everything in their world is quick... it's basicaly shoot and post. Let's not forget that some people has never seen a roll of film before! These people obviously will pay the price for not even having to upload their pictures on their website!

Peak Imaging and Genie Imaging are also cheap just to process film

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Hi Mojave.

In London, prices are ridiculous for just about everything. I can't condone the prices but I dread to think how much anyone would have to pay to lease a property where the Lomo store is on Commercial Street. I suppose if people don't have the kit and/or don't know any better they will pay the price to see their plastic fantastic fodder processed, scanned and printed - especially if it's done in a place where that's "kool" and they can hang out with their head-sock wearing, sense of humour transplant victim buddies.... ;)

Hi Sapata / Suzi.

I've got a stack of E6 still to process / mount from my holiday to Skye last September, so I'm going to send a batch to Genie (who seem incredibly cheap) and a couple to Metro Imaging (who have a reputation for being the best - but pricey).

I've sort of cooled off about the whole Lomo processing thing. They might be "local" in the sense that they are a 20 minute walk from where I work, however, the shop had more of a feel of "Toys-R-Us" crossed with a tattoo parlour than anything to do with photography. I don't expect to be served by 70 year old men in laboratory overalls and smelling of fixer - but I think I'd rather have that than some sour-faced, spotty oik with enough facial piercings to be worth a small fortune if sold for scrap.

Hey-ho.....

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
Hi Sapata / Suzi.

I've got a stack of E6 still to process / mount from my holiday to Skye last September, so I'm going to send a batch to Genie (who seem incredibly cheap) and a couple to Metro Imaging (who have a reputation for being the best - but pricey).

I've sort of cooled off about the whole Lomo processing thing. They might be "local" in the sense that they are a 20 minute walk from where I work, however, the shop had more of a feel of "Toys-R-Us" crossed with a tattoo parlour than anything to do with photography. I don't expect to be served by 70 year old men in laboratory overalls and smelling of fixer - but I think I'd rather have that than some sour-faced, spotty oik with enough facial piercings to be worth a small fortune if sold for scrap.

Hey-ho.....

Late Dev

I use Genie Imaging to process all of my b&w now, I find them very reliable, quick, very reasonably priced & they're always happy to take instructions on special requests. Now they process & scan to disk for me until I buy a new fandagled scanner & printer. Their printing is also cheap but I only use their printing for test shots.

I'veonly visited the Lomo store in Carnaby Street. Nice and sparkly & trendy inside but I baulked at the prices and never returned.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:02:22 AM by Suzi Livingstone »

patois

• I run p
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
I have one of their mailers for the US. The address on the mailer is a post offfice in NYC somewhere near Manhatten Color. I'm going to send a roll of ektar from my holga to test it out and then write up a review. I'm expecting the quality to be ok.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:47 AM »
. . . .  appeared to be "Filmsters Nouveaux" with those trendy sock type things on their heads, death pall complexions and personality bypasses.

lol!!

:-)

I have a Holga.  I'd use the Lomo developing service but for that price I could get a sock-type-thing.   ;D

Jeff

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:43 AM »
That's pretty cool that they give you a code to get the scans online.  I like that.

The price of the processing and their products in general is a bit more than a turn off.  I currently pay $1.50 for processing and $6 additional for high res Tiff scans so I doubt I'll try their service anytime soon.  Good on them though for offering the service, I'm sure it's tough to find a place that does 120 film locally in most of the world.

The Los Angeles Lomography store is in Hollywood I think though, so that would put it within miles of Richard Photo, A&I and Freestyle photo.  All of which are likely to offer a better deal and quality.