Author Topic: got "new" small camera, why are my arms tired?  (Read 1146 times)

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
got "new" small camera, why are my arms tired?
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:55:05 PM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

astrobeck

Re: got "new" small camera, why are my arms tired?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »
It's a beautiful brute so to speak.  It shoots film which makes it uber charming.

I like!   

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
I know that when I find a camera too heavy, I usually put a monopod under it to take most of the weight off.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
@ tkmedia

Some years ago, I had a Mamiya 645 1000s. It was a complete enigma to me. I'd owned Mamiya kit previously and I knew how good the lenses are. However, what I hadn't twigged by the point I bought it was that:

(a) there is no "back" to change - so you can't buy a spare and do slide and film shots in the same session without going through a whole film and reloading
(b) as it's a 645, using it in portrait mode is all-but impossible unless you have the prism finder. Even if you do have it, you've still got to turn it on its side (a faff) and make sure you've set the buttons up properly because once it's on its side, you can't get to them easily without retuning it to the landscape orientation.

The photos were fine and the camera worked faultlessly. I just got narked with it and eventually traded it for something - though I can't remember what.

It didn't make my arms hurt, though. Just got me mad. Give me a square format MF any day....

Nevertheless, persevere if you can as the build is great and the lenses are superbly sharp and contrasty.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
My 1000s is my most used camera at present. I use it with a WLF but I only use it for landscapes so have no need for turning it on it's side. I did have a prism for it but to use the prism you really need a grip, which I don't have, so I got rid of the prism. It is quite a heavy camera to carry in your hand. You either need a strap or a bag.

I don't find the lack of a seperate back a problem but I only use it for black and white and neve have a need to change films mid roll. I do have a couple of spare inserts which you can preload.

I used to have a 645 Super which was my main camera for a long time. I had a prism and a grip for it and with both, it was as easy to use as a 35mm SLR. But the weight is then a bigger issue because of the extra bits.

I'd suggest, if you want to use yours for general use, you need a grip and keep the prism. If you can manage with landscape format only, ditch the prism and get a WLF.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:46:48 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »
I know how you feel; there is heavy, and there is unwieldy. I passed on an RB for similar reasons. Still, the price was good! Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
ditto on the handheld with prism being heavy. I've got some nice shots with a test roll I shot through one that I loaned. those were probably some of my sharpest shots period. if I loan it again I'll be sure to have a wlf to fit on it, or atleast a grip ;)

anyway, nice haul!
/jonas