Author Topic: Dry Plates advice  (Read 1382 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Dry Plates advice
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
While I can't afford spending a weekend learning wet plate collodion with Carl, I'll try some dry plates instead...

I bought a box on ebay and haven't received yet but I can't wait to try on my Voigtlander Avus. I remember someone here having them developed... any information/advice would be much appreciated  :)

It's a box of Ilford Panchromatic "Backed" and it says "soft gradation", I could read "Ilford speed group" E 28 degrees on the label and no expired date but obviously is very old...the box it's in very good condition though.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Re: Dry Plates advice
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »
Sorry, no advice from me Sapata - just wanted to chime in and say that I'd love to hear from anyone doing this as I've considered the same!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
I'd like more info too. I know that you can buy new plates from efke / foma / adox or somesuch but I can't find a link. I recall they were hideously expensive tho...

Looking at this it seems comparatively easy to 'roll your own' using paint-on liquid emulsion stuffs:
http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/gelatin-silver/silver-gelatin-dry-plate-process

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Ok, I have used them quite a bit. Various makes of all sizes too. I use one of two techniques both based on guesswork. Guess the ASA and then the development. Rodinal 1:100 is always a good starting point for an hour or so. Otherwise I use print developer for 2 m-3 mins for more contrast. Shoot at least half the original asa - if you know what it is.

The snap attached is a [crop of] 4x5 Ilford r25 plate shot Nov10 and developed in Rodinal

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
So then dry plates get developed like regular film? Are they glass?
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Just found this article. This seems to be a simple process that I can follow and I might be able to turn my bathroom into a dark room at night in order to do this.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/gelatin-silver/silver-gelatin-dry-plate-process
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
Just found this article. This seems to be a simple process that I can follow and I might be able to turn my bathroom into a dark room at night in order to do this.

I'd like more info too. I know that you can buy new plates from efke / foma / adox or somesuch but I can't find a link. I recall they were hideously expensive tho...

Looking at this it seems comparatively easy to 'roll your own' using paint-on liquid emulsion stuffs:

Thanks guys for the links, this a great alternative and worth trying...

Ok, I have used them quite a bit. Various makes of all sizes too. I use one of two techniques both based on guesswork. Guess the ASA and then the development. Rodinal 1:100 is always a good starting point for an hour or so. Otherwise I use print developer for 2 m-3 mins for more contrast. Shoot at least half the original asa - if you know what it is.

The snap attached is a [crop of] 4x5 Ilford r25 plate shot Nov10 and developed in Rodinal

Great shot !
Rodinal 1:100 for an hour it's a great start Andrea... I use this formula a lot for film, sorry but I didn't understand when you say "shoot at least half of the original asa"...  :P

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Good luck with this.  I'd like to help but know nothing but I have enjoyed Andrea's images immensely so I am sure you will get good advice there. 

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »
Good luck with this.  I'd like to help but know nothing but I have enjoyed Andrea's images immensely so I am sure you will get good advice there. 
Thanks Carl... I have just seen Andrea's flickr glass photos and they're fantastic indeed. Very inspiring... I can't wait to try !
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com