Author Topic: Flying with 400 iso slide film expired 2003  (Read 1123 times)

subcolour

• 35mm
Flying with 400 iso slide film expired 2003
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »
Hi all,
This is my first post on film wasters, been a lurker for a few months now.

I have acquired about 20 rolls of fuji provia 400f slide film which expired in 2003. Now obviously I need to develop a test roll to be sure of whats it like. But I'd like to know what to expect. I've read that slide film doesn't lose sensitivity like negative film, it only gains base fog and changes colour.

I'm leaving to fly to Berlin tomorrow and I wondered if it's critical that I don't get it xrayd.

It's impossible to google search for 10+ year old expired slide film at 400iso.

Has anyone here got experience with this type of film?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Flying with 400 iso slide film expired 2003
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Can't speak to that particular type of film, but generally 400 is OK through the carry-on bag scanners at any First World airport. Checked bags get blasted - never check film of any sort. You can always request a hand-check of your bag - whether that request is granted or not depends on where you're flying from.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

subcolour

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
When I flew from bristol to berlin last month (I'm doing the same tomorrow), they said they would only hand check films over 400. I was wondering if the length of time this film has been expired would mean it shouldn't be x-rayed. I will get a test roll developed before my flight tomorrow (crossprocessed) and if it's already foggy or badly foggy, I am choosing to shoot expired film after all, I'll try hard to get it handchecked.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:07 PM »
Welcome Subcolour.

I've used a fair bit of old print film over the years and the odd expired slide film and all I can say is that I doubt the colour will be faithful even if it isn't scanned.  Therefore, scanning seems unlikely to make much more difference.  The baggage hold x-ray scanner is a different kettle of fish to the carry-on x-ray scanner so, if it were me, I's just go for it and hope for the best.  Ultimately, is what you're likely to be photographing a serious piece of work? If so, I wouldn't be risking 12 year expired slide film whether x-rayed or not.

Incidentally, don't forget to introduce yourself on the Meet the Filmwasters thread on the Forum.  there's also a load of great collaboration galleries (not sure if these are up and running just yet) and podcasts to have a look at as well.  I'm sure you'll have a great time here.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
I had some exposed film ruined by xray :( and it was only ISO 400!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:13:03 AM »
This seems like a good a place as any to pimp my "airports vs film" blog post :D

http://www.indofunkstudios.com/2013/12/03/airports-vs-film/

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 05:25:55 AM »
It was not airports. Ferry boat terminal!!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

subcolour

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
thanks late developer. I'm cross processing anyway, so colour isn't really important, it's just the background fog I wanted to avoid. It turns out that the airport security this time was super relaxed about hand checking film.