Author Topic: Interview with Dr. Florian Kaps and Dave Bias of The Impossible Project  (Read 2459 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
An interesting interview with the man behind the Impossible Project on the latest Film Photography Podcast.

http://michaelraso.blogspot.com/2010/11/film-photography-podcast-journal-for.html
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Interview with Dr. Florian Kaps and Dave Bias of The Impossible Project
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
Yes - I had a listen today whilst en route to St Pancras.  It's an interesting listen fo sure.

I'm quite a fan of the FPP  - but I did find the interview quite irksome at times.  Actually, not the interview, but the content from "Doc" and mr Bias.  The whole beta testing comparison with gmail was quite ridiculous really. gmail was free, as are most beta test situations.  You wouldn't expect to pay high market prices to a manufacturer for the honour of testing a product for them would you?  I wouldn't.

Also, "Doc" at one point claimed having to pay 2 or 3 USD per shot actually makes the film better.  An odd claim indeed. 

That said, the product is slowly evolving into the film we all wanted and expected, so that is a good thing,  I just wish they had been more open about the fact that it was only sold so early in its development to enable further development to happen. It's all the spin and marketing that gets me.

Good luck to them though.
L.

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »
Yes - I had a listen today whilst en route to St Pancras.  It's an interesting listen fo sure.

I'm quite a fan of the FPP  - but I did find the interview quite irksome at times.  Actually, not the interview, but the content from "Doc" and mr Bias.  The whole beta testing comparison with gmail was quite ridiculous really. gmail was free, as are most beta test situations.  You wouldn't expect to pay high market prices to a manufacturer for the honour of testing a product for them would you?  I wouldn't.

Also, "Doc" at one point claimed having to pay 2 or 3 USD per shot actually makes the film better.  An odd claim indeed. 

That said, the product is slowly evolving into the film we all wanted and expected, so that is a good thing,  I just wish they had been more open about the fact that it was only sold so early in its development to enable further development to happen. It's all the spin and marketing that gets me.

Good luck to them though.

It is a tough call. You want to cheer them on and you want them to succeed... and they seem to be perfectly lovely people.

But I have to agree. The beta testing consumer model at $22 for 8 unpredictable shots is a little too much to ask, IMO. I've given the films a pretty fair shake and right now, I'm taking a pass. Very unpredictable results and certainly not the "fun factor" one expects when you shoot a silly SX-70 with integral film. I know there are folks that fancy the variables as some art form genre... but for me it just became too much disappointment. If I'm not having fun, I'm not going to be anxious to keep parting with my money.

As much as the Fuji peel-apart stuff is a little "too" sterile, at least I can predict the outcome and take the photos I envision.

I do wish them well though. They were very nice to me.

JT
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteWheels On WallsAutomotive Photographers Network

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
I had great fun with the films I bought, but yeah.. I haven't bought more so far.

thanks for the tip, I'll dl and give it a listen :)
/jonas

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
I listened to the FPP podcast yesterday and enjoyed the interview. I don't agree with the "GMail" comment and I got the impression Doc did not really either.

I bought the first flush PX100 Silver Shade when it first came out but wasn't very impressed with the results I was getting. However, I knew it was not going to be perfect or even close before I started so I considered the experiment to be an investment in the future of instant film. Kind of like being a venture capitalist investing in some up and coming Internet company which may not pan out.

I am impressed with what TIP have done so far. Most people have done nothing to bring back this sort of film.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
Looking forward to hearing the podcast. I am fan of TIP but have experienced my fair share of disappointments. I've shot whole packs without getting a single good shot and vowed to never get the first flush versions ever again. The newer films however have more predictable results and those results keep me coming back. The new UV film is iffy but the other silver shades are wonderful. I've had great and consistent results with the PX and PZ 600 and am about to try the PX100 and their new color film.

I like that their film is cheaper than the original Polaroid film I've found online and the results I've gotten so far are also better than the expired Pola films. I bought some expired 779 and didnt get a single keeper from the lot and I paid more for it than TIP film. Very disappointing.
mojave

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
Well, complete nut-case that I am, I'm going to be taking delivery of an SX-70 folder soon and I'd be delighted for some tips on the sort of film I should acquire to get me started without instant disappointment.

I'm a big fan of mono but I've seen some old Polaroid film shots of still life fruit - which had colours a bit like a Royal Worcester painted porcelain. I don't expect that will be feasible with anything from TIP any time soon, but I was interested to read Mojave's comments.

Which films give the most consistent / stable results and are there any tips to achieving optimum performance? Don't you have to scoot the exposed photo into a dark bag the instant it's ejected from the camera or something?

All sounds pretty weird but I'm sure there's a few experienced members here who can put me right....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
Hey LD. I believe that the most stable films they have are the newest versions of the PX and PZ Silver Shades. Their new color film looks promising and I am getting a pack of that tomorrow, most likely, so we'll see how that goes. I havent used any of the Silver Shade with the SX70 yet but its the film thats been around the longest so Im guessing its the most the stable.

For the 600 and Spectra series cameras, the PX600 and PZ600 films are very stable. You can get some strange effects in the film, like some circles and some weird lines that look like webbing of some sort, but I personally love those effects. But over all the tone of the images, when exposed properly, come out pretty consistent. They start getting orange if you shoot in less than desirable conditions. At least with the first flush films. And dont be tempted into buying that film because of the low prices. Its not worth it.

The new UV film is pretty iffy still, though you can get some gorgeous results and you can edit them if you want, which is what I did. I'll post a few examples of the PX600 and the PX600 UV. But I found in low light the film gets these really ugly...I dont know, drip marks or something. Looks like the film has dried salt on it or something. Like you dropped it into the ocean and the water dried and left salt behind. I find it ugly myself and not easy to clean up so I wont be getting that film again until they fix it.

And yes, the film is extremely light sensitive. What I do is keep a piece of black poster board in my left hand when taking the pic. You have some time before the image actually ejects to get the poster board over the area where the film comes out uand then I just grab them together and wait for a minute and then stick the image in the foil lined box the film comes in and go off to shoot my next image. Its really not a big deal. You just have to make sure no light hits the image for the first 10 seconds, but its best to keep it hidden for a minute.

The first image was taken with a One Step using their newest version of the PX600 film. I did very little editing on this image and what you see in this image as far as tone and contrast and special effects are pretty much what I got with every image in that pack.

The second image is with the One Step and the new UV film. Too light for my taste but still likable.

The third image is an untouched version of the UV film taken with the One Step and you can see those salty lines I was talking about.

The fourth image is the same one, just retouched.

Hope this helps!
mojave

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Thanks Mojave. Really appreciate your words of wisdom...

Stunning images by the way. I see what you mean about those lines - not very attractive.

What I'm hoping for is a few half-decent shots out of my first few packs of the IP stuff. I will probably try PZ or PX first - although the London shop (in the Photographer's Gallery) is now shut until they refurb the place. Still, I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere round London - it can't be that difficult.

Paul.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
Nice work Mojave...

I've only used a single pack of First Flush during the Summer and to be honest with the amount of info on the web its quite easy to work with. I just shot and chucked the image in a dark box immediately.

Want to do more but just too lazy and its not on my radar at the moment...

LD... Just go down to West End Camera Co between Goodge Street and Warren Street... Hey, I hear John Lewis have even got it at an inflated price 'Never Knowingly Undersold'...

Oh yeah and the Podcast was aiiiiright, just feel I'm being exploited with 8 shots which differs from what my camera tells me... 10 shots at the same price and I'm a sign up...

Jah guidance

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:39 AM »
Cheers Miller.

Mrs LD and I will be in London next weekend so we'll be heading in the direction of West End Camera Co for some of TIP's finest. No way am I taking her into John Lewis, though. I had to use a crowbar and promises of chocolate to get her out last time.... :o

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
I think my biggest issue with the early IP films (aside from difficulty of use) is the overall "sameness" of the shots. The first flush color shots all look pretty much exactly the same to me, and the look isn't all that exciting as far as I'm concerned. I see some nice px600 shots, but again it's a "looks the same as the rest" look and it really takes something special to make me notice. I am seeing some very nice shades from the newer color versions...but I just can't talk myself into spending $23 a pack when I'm finding it difficult to work through all of my first flush. But it's nice that they are forging ahead...I just wish it didn't cost so much for something that is so experimental. I'd rather spend the money on 4x5 or somesuch, which is usually about the same price per shot as IP film.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
100% wot he said.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks Miller and LD!

LD, I just got done shooting some PX100 and discovered this film sometimes has a problem in that it gets sticky. I had two packs do the same thing where the camera stopped ejecting the film. My understanding is that if you fan the film out first, you dont have this problem. There is a video on how to do it somewhere on Vimeo.
mojave

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
LD...  Sadly I was in Johnny Lewis on Saturday doin' the Xmas hop... All good though as I made up for it going to the Potters Bar camera fair today... Anyway, SX-70's are still out there reasonably cheap (£40.00) including manual and cheap leatherette man bag. Guess I better try some PX-70...

Rgds

Mlr

https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton