Author Topic: Street Photography  (Read 1358 times)

astrobeck

Street Photography
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
this caught my eye as I've been following the unravelings and re-wrappings of the "terrorism act". 

And though I'm not much into shooting street photography myself, I truly enjoy it and think it serves a vital record for our evolving street scenes and stories.....

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2010/11/street-photography-now

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Street Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:56:46 PM »
Yes, CameraPhobia... I used to shoot street photography, but that was when I was living abroad in Africa or Asia, so it was not a big deal (people were keen to be photographed). When I went back to Spain I just stopped shooting on the streets; and main reason  was reaction of the people, like I was stealing their souls.. you could argue that is their intimacy, but on the other hand is a public space and you are entitled to do that. Another question is respecting other's dignity, and that is up to everyone... I like street photography, I do street photography but I reckon It is sometimes an issue prone to debate. By the way, now that I walk with my little baby around people are constantly photographing her with their phones and do not care at all.  :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
I can sort of understand people wanting to retain their anonymity and their "souls" (as difficult as the latter is for an atheist like me to conceptualise). However, so long as I am in a public place and I am committing no crime, I believe strongly that it is not only our right but our duty and responsibility to reinforce our right to take photos of whatever and whomever we please. If we fail to do so, we relinquish them and they will be eroded and, most likely, rescinded.

In the UK, we are told we live in a free society. Therefore, why should I blithely accept being photographed covertly by HUNDREDS of CCTV cameras (by both private corporations and law enforcement agencies) on my journey to and from work - with no opportunity to prevent this happening - but be battered into submission by the paranoia of a few over-sensitive idiots who believe that all street photographers are either paparazzi (at best) or perverts / terrorists (at worst)??

To hell with that. I photograph openly and honestly. If someone wants to take issue, I'm up for the challenge - but they'd better have a court order or some legally enforceable right to view my photographs or prevent me going about my lawful business if they want to stop me doing so.

You can probably guess this is something about which I feel strongly. My recent ancestors didn't fight a world war against fascists for no reason. Rant over.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

CamerAsian

• privatize the profit, nationalize the debt
    • Prints of Darkness
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »
Apart from a few exceptions, Street Photography Now is an excellent collection of street work by current photographers. As such, it is mostly colour, although established b+w shooters such as Bruce Gilden and Trent Parke get a look-in. In fact, there are quite a few familiar names and images, although there are enough new faces to make it worth the cover price. As the title suggests, this is not a book for anyone looking for the work of traditional street photographers such as HCB, Winogrand, Frank, et al.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »
I discovered this So Cal photog a few months back after seeing one of his videos online. Cant remember now how or why, but I was fascinated by what happened to him. He secretly video's the police and their reactions to him when he is out photographing. The video in the Metro is really something. He is a photographers rights advocate and knows the laws in this state really well. Better than the cops, and they dont seem to like that very much. He also happens to be a fantastic photographer. I will include the link to his blog, where the videos are, and a link to his website. I think he mostly shoots film but I could be wrong about that.

shoot, sorry, got the wrong blog. When I find it, I'll post it because the vids are really interesting.
Ok, yeah, its the right blog. Just couldnt find the vid. Maybe this link will work. You have to scroll down to see it. Second link listed.

http://www.discarted.com/index.html
http://boywithgrenade.org/?s=metro

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:24:54 AM by Mojave »
mojave

Terry

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
Wow; LA.  There are great (ie, bizarre) photos in that first link.  Which reminds me--didn't all this really begin with Rodney King?  Doesn't that answer the question why so many police hate street photographers?

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Yes, CameraPhobia... I used to shoot street photography, but that was when I was living abroad in Africa or Asia, so it was not a big deal (people were keen to be photographed). When I went back to Spain I just stopped shooting on the streets; and main reason  was reaction of the people, like I was stealing their souls.. you could argue that is their intimacy, but on the other hand is a public space and you are entitled to do that. Another question is respecting other's dignity, and that is up to everyone... I like street photography, I do street photography but I reckon It is sometimes an issue prone to debate. By the way, now that I walk with my little baby around people are constantly photographing her with their phones and do not care at all.  :)

Are you Spanish? Because we have a similar story - change Africa by Middle East, and no baby here :). My street photography when back home (Barcelona) is mostly graffiti, funky shops/buildings or static street scenes. I don't even dare try photographing somebody's children or they will think that I want to rape them and then sell them to some drug cartel or somesuch. A friend of mine (a cute and harmless looking girl from Hong Kong) got some really nasty stares when photographing children in the neighbourhood where her host family lives. There's no reason why any tourist would be there unless their lodging is there.

In the west in general we live in a very paranoid and scared society.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
Hola Mil Mascaras, sure I am Spanish  ;D Barcelona, well for the last many years I have been living abroad. But as said 2 years ago moved back to Spain and then I had to change my Photo Style as street photography was not an option anymore.. too tired, not even thinking about asking people to be photographed as would initiate a long debate.. At the end it was not a bad thing at all as it forced me to move into other Photo fields as portrait. Now I am living abroad again, this time in the philippines and restarting my street photography  :D Good to know we are at least 2 spaniards!!  ;)

stevesegz

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
This debate has been well publicised and if followed the legal angle is straight forward.
But Mil has hit the nail on the head. The West is now a paranoid state!

Now to twist things a little, if Street photography is frowned upon so much why is it acceptable to photograph or record anything and anybody with a camera phone or compact, however, it is not acceptable to use an SLR? Does the fact that you are an enthusiast or professional making top quality imagery mean that you are a greater threat? Kuwait have banned the use of SLR's on the street unless you have a permit!!
Personally I think the situation is ridiculous and as has already been mentioned we are all under surveillance when in public so I am more than happy to stand up for our rights.

Come the social revolution when freedom means just that.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine