Author Topic: Newbie Intro.  (Read 3967 times)

stevesegz

Newbie Intro.
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »
HI, I am Steve.
I have been lurking around in the shadows of film based photography for a while. Never quite confident enough to stand up and be counted amidst the onslaught of the digital revolution and quite happy to adopt a reclusive stance. However......
My local arts centre is facing closure and in becoming involved in trying to avert this I realised that elements of my photography were suffering due to the lack of participation with like minded souls. So at last I have made the jump with a commitment to participate more.
Background wise, by day I work in the NHS and have made a few quid from doing the odd wedding etc.
Camera wise I like to play so have several I have 8x10 and 5x4 Shen hao's a sinar c series, a holga, RZ67, a broken K1000 that I will get fixed one day as it is a family heirloom, a canon eos something or other that I don't use and my most recent purchase is an AGFA isolette folder that I am in love with! I use mainly Ilford products as I believe in showing loyalty to a brand that is trying to support Film wastage however I am also using Foma products.
I  have my own darkroom although it could do with being a bit bigger and a double garage that doubles as a studio when I need to. I enjoy all genres of photography from nude to street, fashion to landscape but my overiding preference is to black and white and my motivation is the final print on the wall so like to spend as much time in the darkroom as I can.

Thanks and Hello!

Steve
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
Re: Newbie Intro.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
Hi Steve!  :)

Welcome.. you've just reminded me of my recent nostalgic itch to get a K1000.. the first camera I owned and learned on..

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:09:06 PM by Suzi Livingstone »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Welcome, Steve. I'm sure you'll feel very comfortable here!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Welcome Steve!  You've got quite the camera collection, I look forward to seeing some of your work! 

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Welcome Steve, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
Regards
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
Welcome Steve!
Glad you decided to join the group here as we're always eager to see new work and meet a new friend.

I also have a K1000, (actually I have two) and it's my true love.

Welcome!   :)

Now post some shots!  :) :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
Hi Steve.

Great bunch of folks here. Very knowledgeable, friendly, supportive and enthusiastic. Looking forward to seeing some of your work....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
Bonjour Steve!

Fun to see someone with more than one 4x5... very cool.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
Hello Steve :)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »

Hi,

I'm a recent Isolette folder convert too, just picket up push fit yellow filter for it too that also filts the "Clack".  Look forward to your results chum

Miles ...

stevesegz

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
Thanks all,
I have been in the darkroom so will post soon. As for the camera collection, don't you just hate ebay, can't resist a bargain!
Miles that isolette is the best 30 quid I ever spent! ;D good to meet you all.
steve
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
Hi there Steve & welcome to FW. It sounds like you'll fit in here very nicely. If I might be so nosy; which part of the UK are you based in?

Furthermore, I hope you read the FAQ and understand that as part of the initiation process here we ask new forum members to donate one of their LF cameras to the 3rd oldest of the FW moderators (oh, that would be me  ;D).

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
Hi There Steve! Welcome the dark siiiide  ::)

Are there any statistics about filmwasters nationalities? I am afraid Latinos are being sabotaged!!!!  8) I think I am the only Spaniard, then Francois and someone else for La France... no Italians that I know, or portuguese...

stevesegz

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
Hi ED,
I am based in Norfolk not far from Kings Lynn and the North Norfolk Coast so at weekends its a bit like living in london and during the week it's deserted.
I must have missed that bit about the camera, but no worries I am happy to donate to the cause. I forgot to mention that my favourite pics currently are some by .....oooops can't remember his name, who photographs the inside image made by a camera obscura. I am planning on doing this soon as I have a rather pleasant view of the sunset out of my front window. So on the way to you a pile of bin bags and a roll of Gaffer tape used obviously.  ;D

Calbisu, sorry I can't help swell the numbers. However, even though my body is a collection of bits of the UK my heart belongs to France and will be moving there some day so am quite happy to be French for the purposes of this forum. :)

stevesegz

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »
Just because it was getting to me had to get my alternative brain, google, to do the work.

For those that are interested in top imagery with the biggest LF gear!

http://www.abelardomorell.net/photography/recent_01/recent_01.html

regards
Steve

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:26 AM »
Nice website, Steve. I've heard of Morrell hadn't got as far as checking him out.

Kings Lynn? I'm in North Essex and, occasionally, stray across the border into Suffolk and Norfolk (usually, I head homeward - up north - to find some hills / mountains). However, I think there's a few of us who live in South East / East Anglia, so a meet up wouldn't be too difficult...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
Hi Steve welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

We do seem to be getting quite SE-England-centric on the forum recently.

We have the best intentions to meet up at the Photographica camera fair in london each May. Hopefully we'll manage to again next year.  
L.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
Oook, that makes one more French  ;D

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
Wow, those camera-obscura shots are quite a thing...

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Welcome !  I am sure you will enjoy being here! this is my all time favorite place on the web..hopefully I will get to Great Britain next year and meet up with some fellow filmwasters!..this year was sabotaged by a visit to hospital...I am also a gigantic fan of Morrell...ah..to make those kind of images!

clockwork codger

• 35mm
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »
 ;D Just found the site, am in Cambridgeshire, 25 miles from Kings Lynn. Got back into film about 5 years ago. At this time running film through 3 cameras of the several I have, a Yashica 635, a Contax 139, and a Canon EOS 5. There my modern ones!

Dave E

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »
Welcome Steve !  :)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »
Steve, I've been fascinated with (and inspired by) Abelardo Morrell's work too, not just the camera obscura stuff. 

And welcome too, clockwork codger!

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
Dave E.   Welcome!looking forward to seeing some of your work!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »
Hi Dave E

Welcome to FW.  I dont know why, but we seem to have a flock of East Anglians joining the site.

Not a bad thing at all! 
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
Welcome both...and especially since you're living in my part of the world. Well, I live in London these days, but I was born in Wisbech just a few short years ago (cough!) and still have a lot of family lurking around Norfolk between Kings Lynn and Norwich. I'm up there several times a year.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
Bonjour Dave E

hope you enjoy it here.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

stevesegz

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
Hi Dave E,
Only a short train ride away!

Thanks all for the welcome.
Glad to see the Morrell fan club is growing. ;)