Author Topic: Yashica Electro 35 G Battery question  (Read 6574 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Yashica Electro 35 G Battery question
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:35 PM »
OK, I admit it, sometimes my mind can't hold all the useless information I see floating around the internet...

I just got a super deal on a Yashica Electro35 and am wondering what replacement battery I can use other than those zinc-air cells... I know there's an adapter out there but am wondering if any of you use alkalines in theirs?

I don't want to either burn up the exposure system on it or get bad readings since the thing is an aperture priority model...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Re: Yashica Electro 35 G Battery question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:52 AM »
there's a hack for the battery - using an old shell cartridge (don't know what size) and a standard alkaline battery of the same voltage.  Some guy on ebay was selling them when I had a Electro GT a few years back.  You may be able to find them still since the electro models are having a bit of a resurgence.

nice cameras!

[edit: here's one on ebay.  by looking at it you can probably figure out how to make one yourself - otherwise 10 USD isn't bad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/YASHICA-ELECTRO-35-BATTERY-ADAPTER-/110585965725?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19bf6fec9d#ht_1954wt_907 ]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:25:25 AM by gregor »

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »

Hi Francois - I love that whole series of Yashicas, though they are a tad big.  This chap is the font for all RF Yashicas and does battery stuff too.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/battery.html

The pre-GS Minister range are mostly Selenium so no batts ...

Ed - Still got your GTN ?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
I think I bought a few compatible batteries from Mr Cad for my Electros. I still have a GTN, Miles, and have recently added a very lovely Yashica Lynx 14. If the latter proves to be as awesome as I hope it is, then I'll offload the GTN for sure. You can't argue with f1,4.

http://www.cameraquest.com/yaslyn14.htm

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
I think I bought a few compatible batteries from Mr Cad for my Electros. I still have a GTN, Miles, and have recently added a very lovely Yashica Lynx 14. If the latter proves to be as awesome as I hope it is, then I'll offload the GTN for sure. You can't argue with f1,4.

You certainly can't. Please tell us how it turns out.

Urban

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
Ed that is a thing of real beauty-it makes me want to go to ebay right now...
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
Ed that is a thing of real beauty-it makes me want to go to ebay right now...

Me, too. However I still have that Voigtlander Vitessa with the f/2 lens that I need to get repaired. So I guess I'll hold of on a new Yashica RF for a while :)

Urban

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
This chap is the font for all RF Yashicas and does battery stuff too.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/battery.html

Unfortunately, Mr Yashica Guy is only interested in selling his adapter which he'll send you with a battery which is totally unsuitable for the camera. I've been around this loop and had endless emails between him and myself.

For the REAL facts on Electro 35 batteries look here. I'm sure I've posted this link several times before but once more won't hurt. Mr YG supplies the PX28A...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:52:54 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
I've found http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk useful when sourcing my batteries for my electro 35.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »

Whoops sorry if that was a bum steer ... He was quite helpful with me, but on another matter.

Ed - I LOVE the Lynx, the Cyclops of RF's.  Makes my Minister III look like an pastyfaced and mealymouthed step son with "issues".  Git posting !

Miles ...

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »

Whoops sorry if that was a bum steer ... He was quite helpful with me, but on another matter.

Miles,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to jump on your post. If Mr YG helped you that's great. But what he sells just isn't the best solution. I bought one of his adapters when I first bought an Electro and the battery he supplied just didn't work.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »

May I ask how much the Lynx 14(E) goes for these days? I guess it's more expensive than the Electro 35 as it's much rarer.

Urban

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Urban, I saw an ad for the Lynx in a 1960's photo mag that Peter Robinson kindly gave me earlier this summer when we met up at the London Photographica fair. Despite being a huge fan of the Electro 35 Yashicas and owning both a GSN and a GTN, I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of the Lynx series before, let alone the Lynx 14 with it's awesome f1,4 lens.

I looked at the ad in the magazine with something approaching a 'Eureka moment' and resolved there and then to hunt one down on evilBay. Little did I know that other vintage camera fans out there had already locked their beady little eyes on the Lynx 14 and I had quite a time tracking one down for under £100 (or $100 plus shipping from North America). Finally I got lucky with that perfect storm of an eBay listing: a seller who doesn't really know what they have on their hands, an inaccurate description and a terrible photo. A week later it was mine for £30  ;D

It's not exactly mint (the front ring which holds the filters is damaged pretty badly) and it needs some cleaning, but the lens is really clean, the actions are all smooth and the RF is nice and clear. It needs a battery, but it can work manually too so I'll use it that way if the battery from my GTN doesn't work in it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »
I must admit the Lynx series is pretty sweet. My Lynx-5000 has a broken aperture blade pivot :( and I've been putting off the repair for years now... It's really a huge job to do.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jrong

• 35mm
    • Artemisworks
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
I have had a Yashica Electro 35 for years and I love it. It is a bit chunky in the hand, but a real joy - the lens is amazingly sharp. I went and got a battery adapter from Mr Yashica Guy and had no problems at all. The 'adapter' has enabled me to use a 4SR44 V battery in the camera.

Hope you have some luck with it!

Jin
ArtemisWorks Photography | www.artemisworks.plus.com
Anti-digital Militant :-)