Author Topic: Polaroid 450 problem  (Read 2562 times)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Polaroid 450 problem
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
Hey all. I was wondering if I could get some help with this problem.

I have tried two different Fuji film packs in the 450 and had the same problem with each. I cant get the film to pull out. I've already lost 5 shots and dont want to lose any more. I read a flickr blog about this being a problem and somebody was talking about breaking of some springs or opening the back to get the film to come out but I wanted to check here before I did anything. Besides, I have no idea what springs they were talking about anyway.

Has anybody else experienced a problem with Fuji film in the Polaroid 450 land cameras with the film tab not coming out of the rollers? I can pull on the little white tab and the little outer door opens but thats where I get stuck. If I pull harder, I break the white tab off. The rollers arent stuck either. I pulled some of the failed pieces through them with the back open and they go through fine. It feels like the whole works are too tight with the back closed. I cant even pull the black paper off without opening the back first and pulling half of it out before closing the back again.

Im hoping somebody has run into this before and might have some ideas on how to fix it. The cheap little 104 that I got works great and even if I just use that one I'll be ok, but I would like to get the 450 working if possible.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:10:07 AM by Mojave »
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
Re: Polaroid 450 problem
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:15:48 AM »
Just tried the trick of opening the back when initially pulling the tab and that worked. No light leaks. Im still wondering though if anybody knows if I should be modifying this camera somehow to work with Fuji.
mojave

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:48 AM »
Some people remove the pressure clips from the door of the polaroid. that's the only solution i know of...

if i have a pack that is tough to pull, after pulling the first tab, i grip the film end tab with both hands and pull slowly until i get past the point where it will just tear off. but if you can't get the first tab out, then try the mod.

make sure your rollers are clean and don't stick, as well, because the film will jam up in it.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
Thank you Sean! I think that just might do it.
mojave

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
Backs with timers (I think the 450 - being a later camera - has a timer?) are a smidge thicker than non-timer backs. Replacing your back, or removing the timer works too I think! Skj.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
I can do that too Skorj, thank you!!!
mojave