Author Topic: Fuji Pro 800Z developed in Caffenol C  (Read 2236 times)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Fuji Pro 800Z developed in Caffenol C
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »
First attempt at this and both images have camera shake, but Im liking what Im seeing. The colors produced are what came from the scans. I liked it so I left it. The fireworks shot was done on a Diana and the window shot was done on a Holga.

Fireworks shot was developed for 16.5 mins at 20c and I used a traditional stop bath. Stuff pretty much exploded in the can and I got stop bath everywhere. That was fun.

Window shot was developed for 15 mins at 20c and this time I used just water as a stop bath. No exploding chemicals this time.

I think 15 mins for this film with this process is the winner, though next time I try it, I think I might stop at 13 mins. Longer than 16.5 and the film got too opaque.

Oh yeah, and the recipe I used was 10 teaspoons instant coffee, 7 teaspoons washing soda, and 1 teaspoon powder vitamin C for 700ml water.

mojave

Alan

• Self-Coat
Re: Fuji Pro 800Z developed in Caffenol C
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:05 PM »
Nice result Mojave!

I like both images.

I develop mostly all my B+W film now in Caf-C. I have half a
litre of Ilfosol-3 for special occasions !  ;D ;D ;D

I dev for 15 minutes also.

I use weights though rather than guessing what a teaspoon
should be  :)

I use . . .

25g's of Sodium Carbonate
7g's of Ascorbic Acid
20g's of Coffee

water stop or rinse, the rinsing is very important to remove the
mix from the film and avoid unwanted stains and residue.

really fun to do!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »
Thank you so much aoluain! Im excited to see how b&w film comes out with this developer, and thank you for your recipe! I had no idea how long to do it for b&w so that helps a lot. Massive Dev Chart suggested starting at 30 mins! Tried that with one roll of the color (I had three trash rolls to test this out on) and it came out useless. Scanner came up with a solid white square.
mojave

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
Now this is VERY exciting. I  devved my first ever roll of b/w in standard Caffenol a few years ago (inspired by Leon as I so often am...not that he uses Caffenol, just that he's a wizard in the darkroom). I quickly moved onto more standard brews and never revisited Caffenol, but now what's this I'm hearing? Caffenol for colour film?! Can it be true? Sweet!

Thanks for the formula, Aoluain. I must rescue my Patterson tank from the shed and give this a go.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
LOL! Tis true Ed! But be careful that you dont chuck it out when you see it. Its quite a difference from what you'll see with b&w film. I almost chucked mine until I held it up to the light and could see the fireworks there but without light behind the film, it looks like you exposed the whole roll to light and tried to develop it. It scans just fine though.
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
Thought I should mention that this process will turn the color film monochrome. I didnt mention in the original post and since the scans do have color, I thought that point might have gotten lost. I was willing to scrap the color to see what would happen and Im glad I did. That fuji 800Z film is really cheap stuff and I actually didnt like it in color but I find that I love it this way so now I have a new process for use on film that I can use and save money with.
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:45:49 AM »
The more I look at the second image, the more convinced I become that its in color. The fireworks shot is totally monochrome with no original color left but that window shot is a different story, and its the one I used a shorter developing time on. I think I'll run a test on some cheap 35mm fuji color film and develop it at 12 mins and see what happens.
mojave

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
Mojave, I doubt you will get colour TBH,

did you scan the negs in colour mode?

the coffee mix will leave a stain if not rinced before the fix
and the blue/purple hue to the first is probably just the
neg colour, like fomapan is a light blue colour!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
Hey Aoluain.

I cant recall if I scanned in color or not, sorry! Both images came from two different rolls of the same film and for the fireworks shot I stopped it in regular stop bath and used no water but for the window pic I did. Rinsed it until the water came out clear.

But what makes me think that there is still color there in the second shot is the couch. It looks green and that couch is green. A very pale green, like in the pic. Could be some kind of optical illusion, but it looks green to me.
mojave