Author Topic: Lens hood for a Yashica Mat needed?  (Read 4622 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Lens hood for a Yashica Mat needed?
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
Hey everyone,

I shot my first successful roll of film with my new Yashica Mat a few weeks back. It was during the day and I have the feeling that on some pictures there's a definite halo around the subject. For example in the first image here: http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3057.msg29233#msg29233

So is this really there and if so would a lens hood help with that? I'm considering getting one but the Yashica ones are few and far between and the Rollei Bay I lens hoods would cost almost as much as the camera itself ...

Apart from my example what are your thoughts on lens hoods in general?

Cheers,

Urban

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Re: Lens hood for a Yashica Mat needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
I've used the rollei hoods on my mat. Yashica hoods an be found but are harder to source than rollei hoods. I pretty much use a hood for outdoors shooting regardless of light/weather conditions. They protect against both unwanted flare as well as (partially) against any inclement weather. 

You'll want the Bay 1 hood and they are available anywhere from 17 USD to 100 USD on popular auction sites if you can't source one from locally or places like KEH.

As for your shots - it's really hard to tell from a browser, but it looks more like negative density issues than anything else.  Try metering a full stop below the films rating (i.e. shoot 100 @ 80 or 50, 160 @ 100, 400 @ 320 [some colleagues of mine will meter 400 @ 200], etc.) to ensure you get the best negative density. From there you can make a better determination.

Also bear in mind your shooting with a 50 year old lens - NC films produce better results in the mat than VC in my opinion. Todays color film is geared for double coated lenses and it's hard to balance the VC films.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:59:00 PM by gregor »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Thanks Gregor. I'll be looking for a Rollei lens hood then. And the above shot was slide film. Do your tips apply there, too or is that another beast entirely?

Urban

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
mmm, if I recall slide film should also be metered down.  here's a couple shots using ektar 100 taken with my mat (model M, made in '57), metered at 80.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:37:09 PM by gregor »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
Thanks again. So that I understand correctly. Due to the mismatch of the old lens and the modern films I should overexpose by about (or a bit less than) a stop, right?

Urban

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
To clarify, the overexposure is to give you proper negative density. NC films over VC films give you a better ability to balance color either in a wet darkroom or in Photoshop when shooting with  older lenses.

Good luck!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
Right. Thanks Gregor. Nice shots, by the way.

Urban

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
Don't forget that the films were less sensitive when your Mat was made than today (check the sensitivity settings on the focus wheel) :)
Also, the underexpose thing is only for slide material (it gives more vibrant colors).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 05:43:33 AM »
we could probably start a whole thread on correct metering for color slide & negative film.  Don't mean to differ on the matter, but I do. Having returned to school to get my MFA in photography (to hopefully teach after that), I've spent a good part of the past 6 months in the color darkroom as well as immersed in intensive color shooting technique & theory.  Being neither a color photographer by nature - and partially color blind has made it quite a go!

If your shooting for a wet darkroom - cibachrome printing or c-printing - overexposing as per my previous post yields the richest prints.  For scanning shooting as per a films ASA rating yields acceptable results.

all that said, I'm quite relieved to have satisfied the color part of my curriculum so i can get back to b&w!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »
Alright. So I managed to get a Rollei lens hood for a decent price on that site and I'll slightly overexpose next time. We'll see what I get.

Thanks again.

Urban