Author Topic: alternative photography books  (Read 1445 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
alternative photography books
« on: November 26, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
any reccomendations on books on alternative photogrpahy? i'm looking for something that is more of a how to book, but a little history on the techniques would be useful too. i saw some listed on the alternative photography site and then others on amazon, but i'm not sure how much they differ.  any suggestions?

william

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Re: alternative photography books
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
william are you looking for alternative printing processes or alternative photography in terms of camera techniques, handmade cameras, etc?

If alternative processing there's at least one on every type !  A good one with a range of both wet darkroom and negative/photoshop hybrid alt processing is "The World of Lith Printing."

artdog

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
This a comprehensive manual that covers a very wide range of alternative processes, with great detail and very thorough instructions.

"The Book of Alternative Processes" by Christopher James

Steven

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
New Dimensions in photo process by Laura Blacklow
Primitive Photography by Alan Greene
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:31:29 AM »
william are you looking for alternative printing processes or alternative photography in terms of camera techniques, handmade cameras, etc?

If alternative processing there's at least one on every type !  A good one with a range of both wet darkroom and negative/photoshop hybrid alt processing is "The World of Lith Printing."

i'm looking for a book on darkroom techniques or those which do not need a darkroom(ie cyanotype).  a bit of both since i still don't have my own darkroom.

thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! i appreciate it.

william

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »
Spirits of Salts by Randall Webb and Marting Green is very good (Argentum)
and sounds the sort of thing you are looking for.

Also, the website http://www.alternativephotography.com/
is pretty comprehensive and interesting
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
The only one I have is 'Coming into Focus: A Step-by-step Guide to Alternative Photographic and Printing Processes' by John Barnier. Includes both Cyanotype methods and most of the more common alternative printing techniques. Quite good and a reasonable price.

I would like 'The Book of Alternative Processes' and have been waiting for ages for it to come down in price but it doesn't so I'll keep waiting.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."