Author Topic: Kenna spare 20 minute filler  (Read 4971 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Kenna spare 20 minute filler
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
got a spare 20 mins ... feeling a bit stressed out?  watch this and you'll be nicely chilled by the end.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/interviews/hokkaido_j.html

L.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Re: Kenna spare 20 minute filler
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »
Thank you. That was a 20 minute vacation.

I've loved his photographs for a long time and it's great to see that he is just like them.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »
Top stuff, Druid. Loved this. Glad he has an umbrella roadie though. I need to get me one of those. One thing though; he doesn't look through the viewfinder when he trips the shutter. Does that mean he was just miming for the video?
 :D ;D :D ;D

In the light of some of the things you've said about your own recent output, I thought Kenna's comment about how his photos are a result of the way he responds to a location was interesting: "Another photographer, of course, would produce an entirely different body of work...I would hope." He must know that there is a significant number of people out there "doing a Kenna"....I thought this was a gentle way of him acknowledging that.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
Wait I just got to the bit where he talks about treating trees like people and how you develop your relationship the more time you spend with them. Well, it seems to work for him at least...the photos are stunning.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:44:08 AM by ed.wenn »

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
Top stuff, Druid. Loved this. Glad he has an umbrella roadie though. I need to get me one of those.

I think Michael Jackson's umbrella roadie is available.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
I loved how he patted the tree.....nice!

Info Red

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
What a wonderful gift!  Thank you for sharing it with us; it will be seen by my photo students next week.  I particularly enjoyed his discussion of his process.  A gentle man in a gentle environment, even during a heavy storm.

Excellent.

Info Red

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Having seen some of his books at a chum's place here oop north, I have been wonderfully surprised because I didn't want to like his work. Because most others did.
Now, having seen this brilliant little film-ette, what really surprises me is his hair.

snewbery

• Sheila Newbery Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »
Now, having seen this brilliant little film-ette, what really surprises me is his hair.

Enjoyed the film---and enjoyed your reaction, Andrea!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
I thought it was fantastic, I've just watched it with a coffee before starting work and now I just feel like grabbing the camera and heading off. Great stuff.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 09:44:49 AM »
Andrea, I have to agree, the Kenna Barnet is quite outstanding
L.

synj00

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Nice find! Thanks!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 01:39:53 AM »
Ooo, thank you for sharing this - absolute bliss!  I'm inspired for the next big snow!  (Loved how he develops relationships with the trees he shoots - I do too).  :)

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »
Don't like winter, but loved watching this.  I'm with Andrea, I basically didn't/don't want to like his work 'cuz he's so damn popular, but the Hokkaido trees were (mostly) stunning.

Ed: He was looking thru the viewfinder to frame the shots.  Then he was making all kinds of variations (long exposure, short exposure as he explained at one point in the film).  Can't imagine faking it for video in the freezing cold, but maybe.  .  .  .

I figure he must carry (well, his umbrella lackey must carry) a zillion pre-loaded film backs.  Wouldn't want to have to change rolls in that weather.

Thanks again for sharing this.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:59:55 AM by rolo »

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
I can't get this video out of my head - the scenery was simply EPIC.   

I however couldn't stop thinking how was he able to work without gloves like that.  I go about 5 full minutes and lose the feeling in my fingers working with metal equipment (then comes 12 minutes of BURN when I go to the car to warm them up and the desire to just pass out so I don't have to experience the insane pain!).  THIS is what seriously impedes my winter shooting...

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
I can't get this video out of my head - the scenery was simply EPIC.   

I however couldn't stop thinking how was he able to work without gloves like that.  I go about 5 full minutes and lose the feeling in my fingers working with metal equipment (then comes 12 minutes of BURN when I go to the car to warm them up and the desire to just pass out so I don't have to experience the insane pain!).  THIS is what seriously impedes my winter shooting...

Maybe he uses those little heat packets you put in your pockets. I use them when I have to be outdoors in the cold weather for long periods without gloves. You just periodically put your hands back in your pockets and they warm up pretty quickly.

You can get them at camping & other kinds of outdoor stores.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 09:55:23 PM »
I know one of the best things I ever bought are those mittens which have the end that flips-up and velcro to the top of the hand. That at least makes it bearable... but winter shooting isn't much fun for me either. When you feel like your fingers will fall off your hand and smash to the ground, it's really time to go in :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 06:12:19 AM »
Brilliant!