Author Topic: Speaking of cool cameras...Fex!  (Read 2370 times)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Speaking of cool cameras...Fex!
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
Continuing along this current trend of pointing out cool cameras, I've had an eye out for Fex cameras for quite awhile. All I ever see are the larger 120 Ultrafex cameras on eBay, but here is a selection of nifty French Fex cameras.

more info:

http://candidcamera.free.fr/FEX/a%20a%20htm_mainpage_fex.htm

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Speaking of cool cameras...Fex!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
They're great, I'm sure I saw a Fex-matic on Thunderbirds about 30 years ago!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
I'm changing my name from Bex to Fex. Those are indeed the coolest of the coolest. Never heard of them before. Score one! Speaking of cool cameras, I found a neat little pocket camera. A Voigtl?nder Vitoret 110. Again, minus the case and accessories...but for a buck what you gonna do. I need to stay away from the thrift stores.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »
Well... Fex me stupid! 1970s French style? Gorgeous!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
Well... Fex me stupid! 1970s French style? Gorgeous!

What said, but twice as loud. Bloody hell, some of those be gorgeous! I have something similar from the former DDR. Can't remember what it's called. Will research & post an image back here then you'll see what I mean.

_UPDATE_

OK, I found what I was after. The East German camera I picked up a few years ago is a Beirette SL 100 & design-wise it has something in common with those first Fex cams in your post, Sean; albeit less that I remembered when I first read it. I love the way the Beirette looks and it if had taken standard 35mm film I think I'd be using it to this day. Unfortunately the manufacturers adopted a related film format pioneered (I think) by Agfa which involved reloadable 35 film cannisters...or something. Memory is pretty vague on this & I don't have the time to look up the details. It's the type of info that Francois probably has in his head anyway  ;) ;)

So yea, I love the way these Fex babies look & I may even ask my French chums to look out for some for me.

(Image courtesy of Pixlux's photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixlux/)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:03:02 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »
I know I too have a camera which was made (originally) to take reloadable 35mm. Its a Lomo Cosmic35 (same as Smena 8 but for US export). It does have a rewind knob, but their system is so mickey mouse that it is basically unusable (I'm even surprised that it doesn't tear up the film when you wind).

To use it, I asked my lab to give me an empty 35mm cartridge which I opened up using a bottle opener (it works fine). I then took the empty spool, cut the film leader off the new film and fixed it solidly to the empty spool using a strip of masking tape (going around the spool and sandwich the film on both sides to be sure).

To my surprise, it worked just fine. When I reached the end of the roll, I went to our dark bathroom (no windows) and turning my back to the door, I opened the camera back and rewound the film by hand. It worked just fine... Here are a few pictures of the monster and the inside fix :)

By the way, the Beirette has a great reputation for making gloriously glowing lo-fi images :)

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
anybody spots one of these for sale, let me know! love the styling on the babysems (and babylord is about the best camera name ever). and that colorado is pretty funky! more french niceties.

some nice close-ups of the babylord...and a very pleasant review if you translate it.

http://fine.tok2.com/home/mountmagic/camera/compact_camera/babylord/babylord.html

love the red shutter button on the Beirette...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:05:45 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
and i have never seen anything quite like this...

http://fine.tok2.com/home/mountmagic/camera/rangefinder/werra/werra.html

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Werra

and you can get an adaptor that allows you to attach two werras by the bottoms! the dreaded doppelwerra! no idea what this accomplishes...stereo?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:14:48 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 12:48:24 AM »
I saw a lot of Werras at a camera fair in London w/ Leon a few years ago. They look lovely, but were pretty pricey at around ?80-100 (I think). A dark green one really caught my eye, I seem to recall.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
I saw a lot of Werras at a camera fair in London

Tokyo too, sees a lot of Werra. At least 1o on sale at each of the periodic camera fair we have here too. All generally mint(ish), and running to about \30,000 I seem to recall. I prefer a good Fex though. Skj.