Author Topic: LF watery madness  (Read 5059 times)

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
LF watery madness
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
In reality the conversation was longer than this. Days worth even, before he wore me down. But It came down to this.

Client ''it's a beautiful pool for divers- one of the most popular spots in the region.
Me.  ''Have you seen the size of the camera I'm using on this?''  And it's not waterproof.''
Client.. It would be a beautiful shot..
Me. ''And those pools are  15 metres deep''.
Client '' It would be a beautiful shot
Me. ''No way-  It'd be crazy''
Client''                            ''

Me  ''... ahh what the heck''

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:10:34 AM by db »

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: LF watery madness
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
oh jesus....
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
db - with the utmost respect, you are completely mental :)
L.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
That some wicked cool shit man
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
I've not been so impressed since I saw the first Space Shuttle fly. Serious. Damn!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
holy freak out aqua-man! 

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
db - with the utmost respect, you are completely mental :)

seconded
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
OMG!! Having used my LF field camera on a total of 3 occasions I can only begin to think of how complex a task this must have been. And if you haven't actually used an LF camera with full/partial movements you probably won't be able to understand at all, but take it from me; it's silly complex enough already without sticking it in a (hopefully) waterproof box and floating it in a pond!

I used to work with a guy who had a series of idiosyncratic and fairly comic ?life rules? which he lived by. Here are some that I remember

• Never try to eat anything that's larger than your head.
  • Never have any ornaments in the house that your partner can pick up and kill you with.
  • When staying in a hotel always order french onion soup when it's on the menu.
  • Always paint your study/office/workroom pale green because it's the most calming colour.

...you get the picture. Now, whilst not on that scale, I too have a few phrases that I like to trot out now and again. To whit:

• You can improve most food by deep frying it in batter.
  • The only thing better than a Hob Nob is a chocolate covered Hob Nob.

After having seen Don's post I will have to add a third phrase starting with the following pithy phrase,

The only thing harder than using a Large Format camera....

Of course any time I see a cool/crazy enterprise such as this I'm reminded of a hero of mine, George Lawrence , the famous kite photographer from the turn of the last century. His escapades are also worth reading up on.

God bless all you crazy photographers!

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
I love this sort of innovation and technique

Its in the tradition of a very famous Aussie photographer - Frank Hurley. Hurley lived in a time when innovation was the order of the day, there was no store on the high street to pop down to to grab some kit, you made stuff up as you went along. He rigged a full plate to the top of the mast to take some aerial views of the ship,  there wasn't even a hardware store to pop out to.

The man went to the Antarctica with Mawson, got shipwrecked with Shakleton for nearly 2 years, walked in the door said hello to the misses found out WW 1 was on and promptly left for the front. He was seen by academic historians as not playing ball, underlined by the fact that all the media people from  WW1 got knighted, except Hurley.  Sir Keith Murdoch was one of them, yes Ruperts Dad.

In all those early years he used a full plate and half plate cameras. All plates were made up from base chemicals. Think about how much fresh water there is to be had on a sailing ship and how much assing around it would be to develop plates in the Antarctica.

A famous story from WW2 - In the early days of the war the Aussie government was struggling to forge a solid line of positive narrative to use to keep the populations morale up, it was decided to put Sir Keith Murdoch in charge, he was a no nonsense autocratic type leader. It is said he walked in to the news room and stood there and started taking charge. He pretty much said "who are you?" "Senior writer" "You're fired, get out of here" "What do you do?" "Lead the copy team?" "Well your now copy boy", "What do you do?" "I write articles for woman to read?" "Well your now my secretary, go get me a tea" "ALL of you listen up, we need better material, we need harder workers, I need you to lift your efforts, I need you to lift the public morale, but most of all right now I need someone to go find me HURLEY!"

This anecdote underlines that one of the more successful media types of the time did not judge Hurley on how he got things done or what he thought, only judged him on the final outcomes he presented.

Hurley was as adept at cinecamera as he was with stills.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:01:00 PM by ken182 »
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
There isn't much I can add to the above comments, but hats off to you - that's impressive!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
Don, when you explained to me how you did this I could sort of picture it in my mind, but these photos are a brilliant documentary of your genius(madness?)  and determination to get the shot! Fantastic work mate! I hope the bumping out of your show went smoothly and you had/have a safe trip back to S.A. - it was great to catch up with you again, every time I chat with you I get a different (& wider) perspective on photography.
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
This is great, Sisyphys... er...  I mean, this is great, Don!  Wow. 
My chopstick is really a love poem.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:30:21 AM »
I will have to add a third phrase starting with the following pithy phrase,

The only thing harder than using a Large Format camera....

The only thing harder than using a Large Format camera....on land, is to take one swimming''

Ed, I like your rules for life, but you can guess my main rule for (photographic) life, is that's a buzz breaking the rules.

Some other truisms from my darkroom door include:
  The best exposure is the one that works.
  Sooner or later someone will call it art.
  If it doesn't sell- put your prices up.
  If you have to imitate- at least imitate something good. 
  The best critic is the one that likes your work.
  Yes it is about who you know.

Great Hurley stories Ken-
In all those early years he used a full plate and half plate cameras. All plates were made up from base chemicals. Think about how much fresh water there is to be had on a sailing ship and how much assing around it would be to develop plates in the Antarctica.

I guess in the Antarctic you could always melt some ice- but it would be hell getting yr chem up to 68?!

And Gordo- I couldn't remember who Sisyphys was - had to look him up..   er thanks (I think). Is that about me continually pushing sh** up hill?   :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:43:53 AM by db »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
OK, so we've got DB taking his LF out swimming, and at the other end of the scale, this week I took his inspiration, and the easy way out, and bought a marine case for my Ricoh half-frame. With only one external control, a big fat black rubber lever, in funky 1970-orange,  it is pretty damn neat. Guam awaits...

Thanks Don! Skj.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
looks kinda like mine! except i don't have the very cool box...
mine has a white switch on top, though. do you have the huge white viewfinder attachment and what I think is a tripod mount with interior flash capability?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:51:37 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »
OK, so we've got DB taking his LF out swimming, and at the other end of the scale, this week I took his inspiration, and the easy way out, and bought a marine case for my Ricoh half-frame. With only one external control, a big fat black rubber lever, in funky 1970-orange,  it is pretty damn neat. Guam awaits...

Thanks Don! Skj.

How come they don't make cool packaging like that anymore?
Funky 1970-orange looks really cool.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 12:29:42 AM »
Hey- there's almost enough momentum for an underwater collaboration..

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:07:13 AM »

NOW THAT IS AN IDEA!!! And the pics must be presented as a diptych of the final result and the method used ... I can just see the madcap contraption that Francois comes up with.

I'll confer with the gang and see what they think.  great idea db.

L.

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »

Thanks Don! Skj.

Far out Skorj! You seem to get your hands on some cool kit. That's one funky looking marine case!

Underwater collab? That sounds like fun! (even though I seem to keep forgetting the deadlines)
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:22:24 AM by artpunk »
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
IF YOU THINK I'M GOING IN THE WATER UP HERE to snap up as it were......................

I might add, this is what Filmwasters is all about. My first port of call in t'morning on the pooter. Always good for a giggle and fine therapy!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

Love the box! Love the orange! Love Don's idea, for which the Holga in a baggie might suit some.

This one Sean has neither the tripod mount, nor the external VF. So they were either an option, or they're missing from this set. What does yours look like? See ya! Skj.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »

NOW THAT IS AN IDEA!!! And the pics must be presented as a diptych of the final result and the method used ... I can just see the madcap contraption that Francois comes up with.

I'll confer with the gang and see what they think.  great idea db.

I never thought of building an underwater case... And with Winter already at our doorstep, I already don't have as much shooting possibilities as I would like... But I'll think on it :)
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »
mark! auto half waterproof case with sports finder and flash capability!

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
1. Sean, one of my fave ever photography-related phrases is, "Sports Finder"....it's a natty, confident, purposeful combination which evokes bygone days.

2. Don/Leon - An underwater collaboration sounds interesting. Count me in.

3. Cameron, no excuses this time. We'll let you set the closing date for submissions and I'll hunt you down on Twitter with a daily countdown from a week before.  :D

3. Francois/Andrea - I appreciate it'll be cold in the water where you live, but to be honest do you think it's much warmer down here in London, or at least warm enough that it makes me want to jump in the Serpentine or the Thames to take a photo? Erm, nope. I was think smaller scale: bath, shower, sink, fish tank etc. In other words, no bl**dy excuses. You'll both be expected to participate and what's more, you'll damn well like it!!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:23:03 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
but to be honest do you think it's much warmer down here in London, or at least warm enough that it makes me want to jump in the Serpentine or the Thames to take a photo?
I don't think of the Tames as a warm lagune... and you wouldn't catch me sinking my toes in it either (warm weather or not)... I'd be afraid to catch more than a simple cold  :P
(Don't worry, the Saint-Lawrence is just as nasty)
Francois