Author Topic: minolta Hi-Matic 7s  (Read 4267 times)

Roger Thoms

minolta Hi-Matic 7s
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »
OK, I'm now onto my second minolta rangefinder. The first one went to my girlfriend Leigh, it was a evilbay purchase that arrived on her birthday and rather than trying to explain another camera purchase I presented to her as a gift. Turns out that was a great move, she loves the camera and has been wasting film like there was no tomorrow. 

I've been keeping an eye out for second minolta rangefinder and this came up on craigslist for $15, which is right in my price range.  Overall the camera is pretty clean. I just put a battery in it and the meter seems to work. I had to clean out the battery compartment because it had a white powdery deposits, luckily the contacts look good with no corrosion. I ran the camera through it's range of shutter speeds and it appears to be functioning. Also I was finally was able to get the UV filter off. I used a cold pack to cool the filter ring and then a rubber pad and my palm to remove the filter. Cooling the filter did the trick, as it wouldn't budge with just the rubber pad. Now it's time to put a roll of film through the camera and find out how she works. I report back when I have the results.

Roger

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
formerly rtbadman

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: minolta Hi-Matic 7s
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:55 AM »
I love the simple functional look of this type of camera. 
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
Anything with f1.8 you gotta like... Enjoy! Skj.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »
I think the Minolta compacts often get overlooked but they are very good. I like the 'F's. I've had three of them at various times, the first one was back in the eighties sometime. I recently found a rare black one which appeared to have been kept in someone's garden shed for decades. But it's brushed up well. I think I might keep this one.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Roger Thoms

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
I do think cameras are being underrated. Perhaps we should keep quite about them, unless of coarse you're  selling.  ;D BTW your black F model looks nice.

I have just about shot my first roll of film and will hopefully process it today. Then I'll know if the camera is functioning properly. Being optimistic I have already bought a light seal kit for it.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

Patrick

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
I recently picked one of these up as well! I really like it and i specifically wanted a 7s because the price was low and it had full manual control. I was bummed to find out that the one i received had fallen victim to the "wobbly lens syndrome" I think im going to need to send it out for repair :(

here is a link to a photo.net discussion about this problem on the Hi-Matic 7s for anyone who is interested.

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00W6YH?start=0