Author Topic: Blind Photographer  (Read 1414 times)

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
Blind Photographer
« on: September 13, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »
I was browsing around and came across this portfolio (he was the winner of their recent photography competition)

http://www.artistswanted.org/blackdog

I thought it was very interesting that a blind photographer won a photography competition.  Amazing work, though... what is your opinion?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Blind Photographer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »
I remember seeing another blind photographer on TV quite a few years ago. He was taking cityscapes using a widelux. Since he didn't know a thing about making things level on camera, he would hold the camera in one hand, back to his palm and trigger with his thumb. On TV, he took a photo of a parked car (he knew it because the sounds were "metallic" sounding  ??? ). Quite interesting though it must be quite disappointing to never be able to see your own images...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
Och tae be very honest a dinnae see de point of de endeavor !!!
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:52 AM »
I like his work.  I gotta think he had a pretty active collaborator...

ziz

• 35mm
    • urbanlight
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
meh... as do loads of "top" snappers.

being partially sighted, and like the photographer having eyesight that gradually deteriorated, i can see how it's possible... must admit i did screw up my face a little with the calibre of the results myself...

but,.. the same way that 20/20 dudes visualise an image before making it happen, blind or partially sighted photographers work the same way. At what point a blind photographer crosses the line from photographer to "art director" however is an interesting point.

(yes first post here, hi, from Melbourne)