Author Topic: I've got that urge again  (Read 2869 times)

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
I've got that urge again
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
So Ive got it again you probably know the feeling. The one when you want a new camera in the worst way ha ha.  After selling several of my cameras  that i don't use that much and other stuff in my basement. I've collected enough pennies to get a new camera. But the only problem is there are so many different cameras i want. Right now i own a Mamiya 7 II with a 65mm lens and love that camera to death. But i really want a Medium format SLR. I shoot mostly landscape but would love to get a camera that is versatile for other types of photography.

So here is my criteria
-Under $1,300
-Medium Format
-Sharp Optics
-New lens cant be super expensive
-6x6 or 6x7
-Durable

Thanks folks

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: I've got that urge again
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
Hi Xander, I'm one of the least qualified people here to answer this....but it ain't stopped me before now and it won't stop me today. I own a Bronica SQ-A that I think fits all of your criteria. If you're talking new as opposed to used then that might rule it out, but there are plenty of pristine 2nd hand setups on evilBay that will get in way under your $1300 price bracket.

Previously I have owned Great Wall and Kiev 60, MF SLRs, and the Bronica is a massive step up in quality from either of those. I love mine. Suspect Leon will add value to this thread.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
I'm biased but I'd go for a Bronica SQA - the lenses are much cheaper than Hassey lenses, but they are still very good (not quite CZ, but more than adequate) bodies are great.  I love 'em
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »
Ed beat me to it
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
But if you go for a used Bronica S2 or S2A, check the serial number carefully as there are batches which are mis-labeled and totally prone to failure.

Keep in mind that 6x7 enlargers are hard to come by... also fewer pictures per roll (more expensive).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »
I went out to a camera store that every once in a while gets some medium format SLRs and they had a Bronica SQ-A. However i didn't like how much of it was plastic and I didn't like that there was no Bulb mode on it. I just read online that there is T mode but people complain that its hard to get to. They did have a Mamiya RB67 which i was rather impressed with. I liked the size of it felt like a real camera in my hand. Francois i probably wont be getting an enlarger until i finish college and get my own place so right now I'll be just scanning my negatives but thanks for telling me i didn't know that. But back to the RB i really liked the built in bellows  and the rotating back. They also had a 6x6 back there as well which i found out is quite rare. Has anyone had any experience with the RB or RZ? i feel like if i got one it would be the RZ just because the guy at the camera store said that they don't need to be CLA as often because they have an electric shutter. So what do you think guys?

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »
Regarding RZ vs RB: are you a body builder? I bought a used RZ67 as my first medium format camera. It's certainly a great camera, but it weighs a ton. Hand holding that camera is a literal pain in the wrist. My 4X5 field camera with lens and film holders is considerably lighter than the RZ with lens.

As far as mechanical vs electronic shutters go, one nice thing about a mechanical shutter is the ability to continue using the camera when the batteries fail.

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
alot of people complain about the weight of it but i'll probably keep it on a tripod most of the time and use my Mamiya 7 II for any hand held stuff.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:39:36 AM »
I had a RB67. Had. I couldn't handle it. It was just a chore for me. I bought it off some guy here for under $200. Nice shape it was too. I only had the one 120 back for it though. I think I used it twice and that was it. I lost interest. Rolling that film on the back was a chore as well and trying to do that in the field proved too much for me. I traded it with someone for something else. And that something else I ended up selling to Damion. Such is life. Shame really. It is a really nice camera. Good luck...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:43:39 AM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
the sqa and sqai do have some plastic on them, but they're still very solid and durable.  The sqa-i body has a bulb setting, and for use with the sqa or the sqb there's an easily accessible switch on the lens barrels that selects the T mode and closes the shutter again.  It is very easy to use.   
L.

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
 After reading countless reviews and comparisons I ended up with getting a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II should be here when i get back from my trip to Miami. I hope we get along