Author Topic: An inspiring conversation with the manager at Freestyle Hollywood  (Read 1704 times)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Been meaning to post this bit of information for weeks, but life has been spinning out of control this summer.

So I was in Freestyle Hollywood weeks back buying supplies. I had a lengthy conversation with the manager about the future of film and how they see it at Freestyle (one of the biggest suppliers in the US if not the biggest of all things film). She told me they were selling more enlargers to schools this year than years past and that film in fact is far from dead. Her theory is that kids are tired of sitting at their desks  and playing with computers so they want to get their hands into something. My obvious follow up question was.... that's great, but are the kids sticking with the process and staying in the darkrooms? According to her, yes...They are selling tons of enlargers, films and chemicals to the school systems. Granted, most of the LA suppliers have cut out all darkroom equipment and Freestyle is now one of the only viable places to go for a sufficient choice of film and chemicals--so I'm sure this has something to do with it. But it was an enlightening conversation after hearing how digital is taking over the universe and wiping us film junkies out like the dinosaurs. Just thought I'd share....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:56:54 AM by Susan B. »

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
Re: An inspiring conversation with the manager at Freestyle Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
Weird, you call it Freestyle Hollywood  ??? I order my ortho litho film for enlarged negatives from them. No problems from them even with the silly international shipping.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Susan, that was definitely a great read, and promising. It was preciously the topic of discussion with our former principal of our school district two years ago. He and I sat down and talked about this very thing. I approached him about the idea of introducing this medium to the students and how to keep this format going at the school. While the current Art teacher did so, as previous ones have in the past....she more or less kept the light out for a long time in the darkroom due to the lack of interest by the students. In our area, shooting film, developing and printing it, are unheard of and absurd to these kids. With the exception of one or two. And it was those few who I talked with that inspired me enough to make a change and motivate the Photography class to shoot film once again. Medium Format film. Holga's.

I convinced the Principal to make a purchase thru Freestyle Photo. A purchase of 9 Holga's and a large number of film. XP2 to be exact. After some pleading and persuading, he eventually agreed that the Arts could use a magic stick. It will have been for the Photography Class that my friend, Mrs. Manilla, teaches each morning. A class of 12. A class I also volunteered for showing and teaching them how to use the Holga. The kids were stoked. And even more so after seeing my portfolio book with my toy camera work. They could not believe that a black cheapy plastic camera could make such wonderful art. Watch your mouf!! They were inspired.

While the current darkroom is clearly outdated, none to worry, they did manage to make some small changes during the course of the years with an enlarger. In the past, they mostly shot with 35mm cameras, these classes, and developed it with the powdered Dektol and so on. Good. I believe they've even went as far as developing some of the expired Kodak 120 film from years ago, shot in the Holga. A mistake on my part when ordering the C41 film. Oops. They don't have that chemical process to do so.

Two years later and her class still uses the Holga today. I stop by now and then and give advice and pats on backs and even give them theme based homework to shoot. I think the interest is indeed there. You just have to divert their attention long enough from the remote controls and other activities.

So in closing. PRAISE Freestyle for doing what they do for so many years. It would be neat to see them come up with "package deals" in the catalogs such as putting together set ups for schools such as this medium format, especially the Holga enlarger. Chemicals for developing and printing. And all of the necessary tools that are available for film photography alone. Not at cost, but as a special deal made only to school districts. A write off of course for Freestyle. Hahaha. Kidding. KEEP FILM ALIVE. I still purchase film and such from them, too.

I hope this made sense...it is sooo early in the am! Back to bed. Thanks again, Susan...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »
That is really good news, my fear has always been that film and darkroom materials  would become too expensive and prevent a  future revival in film use .  I have noticed over here "Dublin"   a very small market  where the media courses are now including traditional darkroom courses and pinhole photography courses for the first time. This is new and positive.   From our perspective it is difficult to predict what the future of film holds but if suppliers like Freestyle are sending positive messages  and  film based orders  to their suppliers the future looks good. I would also hope that a creative mind who gets into  photography via digital  will soon become bored with it's limitations  and  may move into film and  alternative processes . 

I take inspiration from what Beck did,  we need to talk up film more.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:53:44 PM by eddie »

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »
Fantastic news! Kudos to Freestyle for keeping traditional school darkrooms alive and well.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
The conversation Susan had w/Freestyle and Beck's experience is encouraging for sure as testimony of keeping the art of film photography alive, and I think that Freestyle's comment that people - young up through my generation (teens of the 70s) really want to get away from computers for producing art - including that computer called a digital camera.

A lot of my friends were introduced to the Diana in college courses.  My 4th grade teacher sent home a permission slip and a request for 50 cents: for a Diana.  Now that the Holga and a few other MF cameras are the inexpensive kid on the block, getting students interested in the cameras and their lovely results ignites their imagination in ways unpredictable ways that we could never have guessed in pre-digital days.

I couldn't even count on how many of my Holgas my son has given to his friends !  That's a good thing. [He's nice enough to ask permission to give them away :) ]

Nice work Beck and thanks for sharing the Freestyle conversation Susan.

tijeras

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »
Good news Susan.

I just received my order of film from them yesterday and must admit they are my first choice when ordering supplies online.

BTW- They have a great deal on Arista right now.  It's AGFA re boxed...
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php