Author Topic: A few days in Devon  (Read 2044 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
A few days in Devon
« on: July 05, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
A few samples of what I took.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: A few days in Devon
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
Lovely set of images. Did you leave the mower at home?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
Did you leave the mower at home?

I did. The sand would've played havoc with it. :)
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
Lovely collection really enjoyed looking at them. I am a big fan of the square format.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »
A few more...

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »
Brilliant!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
Who needs a mower anyway? Good stuff, Peter. I'm off down to North Cornwall again next week so these have whetted my appetite no end. I don't get the time to take this type of considered photo unfortunately due to the timetable we keep within the family while we're down there, but something like that surfer shot is the kind of thing I love. The footprints and the cross are both especially strong images too. Lovely.

Where were these taken exactly?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
Hi Ed,

With the exception of the first one, they were all taken in Woolacombe. The first one was just down the coast at a place called Crow Point.

'Considered'?

With the exception of the first two and the third one in the second post, they were all taken in a hurried 30 minutes late one evening. It had been a stormy day and I hadn't taken a thing, then the sun suddenly burst out from below the cloud at about 8:30 in the evening and I was off to the beach in no time leaving the wife in the hotel watching Wimbledon highlights.

I shot about 50 frames in that half hour and I wouldn't call any of them very considered. That came later with the  printing and editing.

So, don't think you haven't got the time - it's more about taking your opportunities when they come along.

The shot of the artist was another example of taking the opportunity. We sat at a cafe and he was sat outside a gallery next door. I didn't have the right lens for the shot but took one quickly anyway. A few seconds later someone came and disturbed him and the shot was gone. Here's the original to compare to  my 'considered' finished picture.