Author Topic: in praise of the point and shoot  (Read 2190 times)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
in praise of the point and shoot
« on: April 28, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
A few posts back there were some great shots by Ed of his family bath time. I checked out his blog and it got me thinking that a good point and shoot that I can take anywhere is exactly what I need to really help me filmwaste. Here are some pictures from the first roll of film taken with a Rollei Prego with a fixed 35mm lens. It cost ?5.01 from Ebay and has no instructions and smells of pipe tobacco. But hey, it's a point and shoot. Having said that it does have some rather nifty little modes, like the ability to take a photo overy 30 secs, 10 mins or 30 mins. The film is Agfa apx100 in xtol, and I've made a few photoshop tweaks. My favourite is the one of the church and collapsed shed. Somehow the roof stayed in tact.

My ideal scenario (along with loads of other cameras)- a small, quiet, palm sized, film PAS with a class lens and a shutter with no lag. The rollei has a wee bit of lag but I can't quite tell how much because of the volume of the auto-film transport.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: in praise of the point and shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »
Yep, there's definitely a place for the point 'n' shoot; lovely set of images. I love the cloud in the last one.

I generally prefer to use bright colour film in mine, but if you process yr own b/w then stick with that. Once you get used to your point 'n' shoot you can get some great images. Jim Green, is a bit of a master of the PnS snapshot (take a look at the "Twenty Five 35" gallery at http://www.jimbus.co.uk/).

Personally I'm on the lookout for a Ricoh R1 as suggested a few weeks ago by Leon. Jacqui's Canon SureShot is coming to the end of its reliable stage and it's a bit clunky and cunky. The Ricoh looks promising.

RandomHamster

• Beware the hamsters of doom.......er........
    • RandomHamster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
Nice one, have to say my favorite has to be the first, very atmospheric but then I am a fan of rooks and crows etc!   ;)
Tracey - All my favorite things start with C... cameras, cheese, cider and chocolate!
http://randomhamster.my-expressions.com/

tijeras

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
first and last one for me.
I, like Mr. Wenn favour the cloud in the last one a lot.
My point and shoot of choice is the no longer made Olympus Epic stylus.
Not the zoom, just the fixed lens model.

They could be had new for 79$
but isee they are going for about twice that now.
pooh!

Great camera if you are thinking of another to add to your collection.
One the plus side, they are weather proof!  Just the ticket for the wx of the UK.
 ;)

tijeras
aka
astrobeck

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »
tijeras
aka
astrobeck

Does anyone know if this stylus the same thing as the mju in the UK?
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

tijeras

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »
tijeras
aka
astrobeck

Does anyone know if this stylus the same thing as the mju in the UK?

Yes, it is the Mju,  not sure why it's named that in the UK but
it's a great little pocket sized wonder.
I truly adore mine!

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:43:12 AM »
Hi Karl
oh yeah. I'm drawn the puddle and the seascape and for similar reasons. They both lead the eye in a triangular journey around the image, which I enjoyed. A simple cam surely stimulate creativity and help you make the most of little opportunities.