Author Topic: Old family photos  (Read 3014 times)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Old family photos
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »
We recently stumbled across some old photos of my Dad,  mianly from his time in malaya ealry, late 1950's early  1960's -doing his national service.     Not really sure it looked too hard a job though!!  I do recall all his "army" tales involved either fishing or getting drunk with gherka's...not a bad job.   

All very cool B&W prints in a 1960's KODAk envelope and it says "colour photos processed for boots"   so not sure if its the original packet??

Also the swiming gear picture would have been very early 1950's on a family holiday to Abersoch in wales printed on Kodak Bromide WFL (white fine lustre?)   we have loads of these  and on lots of pictures there are plenty of box cameras on display -so it must be genetic!   There were also stories of an Leica my grandad had for years that he "liberated"  during the War......my dad reckon he still had it during the 1970's/1980's but got rid of it when he couldnt fix it.......

anyway i digress....here we are with Mike rice's tour of duty....cough

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Old family photos
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
and one more

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »
Are you sure this was National Service and not an early Thomas Cook package tour?  I must say the frogman photo is a winner ... and proof that swimming trunk technology has moved on somewhat in the last 50 years!

warren

• Currently distracted.
    • That...was my foot.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
These are great and I'm with David, that frogman image is perfect. I've been working on a family history scanning project, collecting as many photographs as I can from family members, and  seeing these old treasures is priceless.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
Frogman does it for me too. Love it!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
I love them all...funnily enough the frog man probably less than the rest, but what a great set of informal portraits. I know they're in good hands. Have similar photos from my grandfather's WW2 collection. He worked in an RAF photo unit station in the Far East so had more access than most to cameras, film and the means to make prints.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
these are excellent Damion - and great to have for you and your family.  Another vote here for the snorkling gear being pick of a healthy crop
L.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »
Wow, are these neat to look at. I dig this sort of thing you know and wish I could add my Pop to the bunch while serving time abroad. I no have...

Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »
i'm fortunate enough to have tons of family pics. here are  a couple of my grandparents...

"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »
Great photos Damion, again I love the snorkelling one, he seems to have spent a lot of time fishing...

Funnily enough I was planning to post some shots of my dad from his time in the navy as a photographer. This is him in 1950 at the tender age of 20, just as he began his career - he's sitting in the darkroom of HMS Vanguard, on the right is a print glazing machine and racked up behind him are all the chemicals.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:06:56 AM by Janet_P »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
that's a fascinating pic Janet - wonder how they dealt with enlarger shake-blur when at full steam ahead? Both my brother and Dad were Navy types, I'll have to dig out some of my dad when he was on the mine sweepers.

I've posted these loads, but here a couple taken by my great Grandfather on My Dad's mother's side (gets complicated when you skip back a few generations!)

L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:06:36 PM »
Love that last one loads Leon.

Mum has a wonderful image on the wall in Somerset - her home - of her mother and her sisters. Must have been taken around 1910 or so. Been meaning to get a scan of it as it fantastic.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27:36 AM »
ca. 1972

Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »
Crazy hat!!
 :D