Author Topic: Weekend thread for 14th - 16th June  (Read 442 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Weekend thread for 14th - 16th June
« on: June 14, 2024, 05:27:47 PM »
A few more from my outing to Faversham a little time back
Mamiya Super 23 FP4+ in HC110

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
Re: Weekend thread for 14th - 16th June
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 06:04:58 PM »
Irv - that Citroen H van in image 1 has always been a favorite of mine.

Three from a recent trip to Grass Valley in the Sierra foothills. Pentax KX, 24/2.8 and 85/2 on Formapan 400.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 06:18:36 PM »
Nice start Irv!  I had never seen one of those Citroën H Vans until last year when I was working in Maui.  It was being used to sell shave ice. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/53317720488/in/dateposted-public/

Earl, my grandfather was born in Grass Valley.  His father was working in the gold mines at the time.  I have spent some time there working on cleaning up a gold mine.  Nice little town with a lot of mining history. 

Anyone getting tired of birds yet?  Too bad, many more to come, I'm still going through all the film I shot on Tern.  Added more to my essay https://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=10657.0  Go there if you want to see some boobies!

Olympus OM-1 with Adoh HR-50 developed in beer.
Black Noddy
Black Noddy by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 04:48:06 PM »

Earl, my grandfather was born in Grass Valley.  His father was working in the gold mines at the time.  I have spent some time there working on cleaning up a gold mine.  Nice little town with a lot of mining history. 

Small world. GV has practically been a second home for us over the past 5 decades: we were married there, two of my wife's brothers (one in image #3) and their families, as well as a couple of long-time friends, lived in town. We've generally visited once or twice a year at least and are still finding new places to go and things to see.

There was a recent effort made to reopen the Idaho-Maryland mine, ultimately denied by the county board of supervisors earlier this year. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of local opposition to the project.

https://yubanet.com/regional/nevada-county-supervisors-deny-rise-grass-valleys-idaho-maryland-mine-project/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 06:15:32 AM »

Small world. GV has practically been a second home for us over the past 5 decades: we were married there, two of my wife's brothers (one in image #3) and their families, as well as a couple of long-time friends, lived in town. We've generally visited once or twice a year at least and are still finding new places to go and things to see.

There was a recent effort made to reopen the Idaho-Maryland mine, ultimately denied by the county board of supervisors earlier this year. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of local opposition to the project.

https://yubanet.com/regional/nevada-county-supervisors-deny-rise-grass-valleys-idaho-maryland-mine-project/
It’s been quite a while since I’ve been back but I would jump at the opportunity.  I don’t blame them for denying the mine after all the environmental problems they’ve had.  I’ve always considered the California Mother Lode job security. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:20:22 AM by Bryan »

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 11:55:50 AM »
ruins by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Above 50mm view. Below 24mm view.

wide ruins by Berang Berang, on Flickr

I'd like to explore this location a bit more, but I need to remember to bring insect repellent and long pants (saw a yellow belly water snake last time I went).

Had a bit of fun with this roll testing a few different lenses. I used the 50mm Schneider Xenon which is the usual choice for my Exa, but I also used the Enna 4.5/35mm, and ISCO 4/24mm. I very rarely use the 24mm lens, but I did have a couple good opportunities to use it on this roll. Will probably post more pics later.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 04:02:27 PM »
(saw a yellow belly water snake last time I went).
I would have been out of there faster than Hussein Bolt can run the 100m dash!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 07:44:35 AM »
Fortunately they are harmless, I missed getting a picture though because for a moment I thought it was a water moccasin, which is a snake you definitely don't want to run into. By the time I realized it was no danger, it had lost interest in me, turned around and slithered off.

Another 24mm shot from the roll:

Elisabet Ney House by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 03:44:20 PM »
Fortunately they are harmless,
Pfew! All we have here are grass snakes. Not the nicest things, but definitely harmless.
We don't have many slithering reptiles in Canada. I know that there is a small region north of Montreal that has a type of water snake that's pretty big. And in Ontario they have the Massasauga which is a type of rattler (definitely venomous).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.