Author Topic: New colour film brand - Candido  (Read 700 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
New colour film brand - Candido
« on: May 31, 2024, 08:19:34 AM »
Checking my spam mail this morning I found a newsletter from MacoDirect announcing three new C41 colour films from Britain named Candido. They are available in 200, 400 and 800 ISO. According to their website they are not made in Britain, but sourced from unnamed European and Asian manufacturers. Priced around £14 per 36 exposure roll in Britain, €17 in Germany. The sample pictures are all shot in southern Europe with a much stronger light than we have here. At least they are $10 cheaper than Kodak Portra, that's always something.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: New colour film brand - Candido
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 03:42:46 PM »
I must admit that Kodak Portra is always too expensive for my taste.
As long as it's better than Aerocolor IV, it's bound to be good  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 05:24:50 PM »
On their website there are customer pictures on each film page, like here for the 400 https://www.candidocollective.com/products/candido-400-colour-film
I see quite a bit of halation with strong highlights.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 10:56:18 PM »
Could be re-spooled cine film. I could know if they showed actual real photos of the sprockets and not just a render.
Francois

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 11:47:03 AM »
A few people from my local Meetup camera group went on a sponsored Candido & Vintage camera hut photo walk yesterday, I think that they get a free roll of film and some stickers etc, so if and when they post any shots to the Whatsapp group I see their thoughts

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »
That would be a nice thing. It's always nice to hear the comments from people you actually know as the social media influencers can't always be trusted with their impartiality.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 10:57:30 AM »
That's an outrageous assertion, Fracois!! Influencers can't be trusted? I'm shocked. Next you'll be suggesting that Joel Meyerowitz doesn't actually become invisible when he shoots on the streets of New York  :D 8)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 10:59:33 AM »
A few people from my local Meetup camera group went on a sponsored Candido & Vintage camera hut photo walk yesterday, I think that they get a free roll of film and some stickers etc, so if and when they post any shots to the Whatsapp group I see their thoughts

I'm intrigued by some of these words, Irv. What is "local Meetup camera group " and also "Vintage camera hut"? Are these things that I should know about?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 05:14:29 PM »
Those are two things I sadly can't relate to... until somebody comes-up with some film that automatically converts every image into a series of 1s and 0s.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 05:23:06 PM »

I'm intrigued by some of these words, Irv. What is "local Meetup camera group " and also "Vintage camera hut"? Are these things that I should know about?

I'm thinking Fotomat when he says "Vintage camera hut". 
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/626991/overexposed-history-fotomat

Fotomat by Evan Finch, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 12:06:50 AM »
I was thinking Fotomat hut also.
there used to be an old shell of one leftover from the heyday of drive though film processing down in Socorro, NM. but sadly they demolished it before i could find out who to talk to about buying it....

It would have made a really cool Tiny Home!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2024, 04:04:13 PM »
I was thinking Fotomat hut also.
there used to be an old shell of one leftover from the heyday of drive though film processing down in Socorro, NM. but sadly they demolished it before i could find out who to talk to about buying it....

It would have made a really cool Tiny Home!
Rebuilding one from scratch shouldn't be that expensive.
I know there are a few still around. I think Ed Templeton or Juxtapoz magazine know about one that is used for art installations and selling zines.

I think I found it http://www.slowculture.com/the-fotomat
Francois

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2024, 05:59:10 PM »

Ed there is an website "https://www.meetup.com/" where you can join with people with similar intrests as you and go do your thing. I'm in a couple of film caamera ones although I'm not the most active of members as I prefer to go out alone and please myself what I do.

Vintage camera hut is a shop in Brick Lane East London  ( https://www.vintagecamerahut.com/ ) and they were sponsoring the walk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2024, 09:53:27 PM »
Just went to look at the place. That is really nice old Victorian industrial buildings they have around there.
And the nearby market must always a nice place for pictures and oddities
Though I'm a bit disappointed to see there isn't any bamboo or coconuts used around their shop 😁
And we all know how quintessentially british coconuts are 😁😉 (see Monthy Python reference)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 10:34:38 PM by Francois »
Francois