Author Topic: Baldwin Lee - rediscovered?  (Read 1539 times)

Mike40

• 35mm
Baldwin Lee - rediscovered?
« on: October 07, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »
This popped up in my in-box this morning and I thought that I'd share it:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/baldwin-lees-extraordinary-pictures-from-the-american-south?utm_source=pocket_discover

It seems as if this chap's slid off the radar but, thankfully, been rediscovered. Not only superb photos but an extremely interesting back-story.

Take care,
Mike

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Re: Baldwin Lee - rediscovered?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 05:53:09 PM »
I'm a bit late to this but thanks for a good read.  This bit really struck me :
    He’d spend the day photographing people living in seemingly inescapable poverty, and then he’d return, at night, to a hotel. “You know, hot shower and meal,” he said. “The incongruity of it was just hard to do.”
Some people are saying we are heading this way in the UK at the moment (the haves v the have nots) , but hopefully a change of Goverment will help.

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 11:36:29 PM »
Hi Irv - thank you for your kind words and don’t worry about being late - you got here! I think the line that resonated with me was this “……….a grim testament to the persistently meagre fruits of American progress.”  Well, I’m not able to judge that but let me tell you that the other day I had to go to London and spent some time with a dear friend of mine who was looking for a cafe / restaurant where she and three old school friends could meet up and spend a pleasurable while between a couple of sightseeing opportunities in a few of weeks time.  These are four ladies in their 70s, none of whom live in London.  Knowing that I had worked in the capital - mostly in Covent Garden and Soho, albeit some 25 years ago now - my advice was sought.  We started in the City where, unfortunately, the majority of locations were full of braying, expensively-dressed ‘city-types’ of both genders who all felt encouraged by each other’s company to speak at the top of their voices.  We moved across London Bridge and along the South Bank to what still is called ‘The Wobbly Bridge’, despite it having been constructed for the Millennium and not wobbled since.  The tourist pubs and bars were doing a roaring trade, even at this time of the year, but were similarly raucous to those on the north bank. It was not boding well.  From opposite St Paul’s we caught a bus and, alighting at Charing Cross, made our way up St Martin’s Lane towards Covent Garden and then we had a revelation.

All morning, and for the early part of the afternoon, we had enjoyed glorious sunshine.  Mid-afternoon and the skies clouded over and the rain that issued was torrential.  Up to this point we had encountered, in the main, loud individuals who had evidently flourished in the various businesses and enterprises where they were employed and, although the standard of their behaviour left a lot to be desired, they were well dressed and seemingly affluent.  Suddenly we were in another place where shops were shut and deserted and the only signs of life were the thick ‘mattresses’ of heavy-duty cardboard in the doorways and these were, inevitably, soaked through.  The denizens of these doorways were, we could see, huddled in other, deeper doorways in a fairly futile attempt to stay as dry as possible.  They were too demoralised even to beg from the passers-by who were, themselves, scurrying along to get out of the heavy rain………a grim testament to the persistently meagre fruits indeed.

In my years working in London, and for what it’s worth I am now 75, I have never seen such frequent and numerous rough-sleeping in the centre of the capital.  It would have done justice to Mayhew.  The disparity, so publicly visible, within a few streets was shaming - the casual institutional violence of leaving people in such straights and the brazen acceptance and endorsement of the situation by both central and local government left us both speechless.  As Lenin asked, “What is to be done?”……..and indeed, for the country as a whole, this question resonates…….and the answer is not simply a change of government.  Maybe here is not the place to question the institutions, the role of the monarchy, the ‘democratic structure, the corruption and the decline to being a small, poor and unimportant island off the coast of Europe.  Maybe all we can do, those of us who are past the age of direct action, is bear witness to the inequalities, to stand up as either ‘us’ or ‘them’ and, as photographers, record peoples lives and struggles with respect.  It cannot go on like this.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 06:26:37 PM »
Interesting tale, Mike.
I know it's not much but whenever we go into London for a show or whatever, my wife always takes coins to give to the homeless and I have kind of picked up that habit and will give - sometimes to the disgust of my work colleagues, who parrot the line of "it's their own fault/they want to live that way" -if we are going along a street at lunchtime but with a series of bad luck it could be any of us.
Hopefully things can change.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 09:18:36 PM »
That is so much the story of gentrification.
I often said that this planet will go to hell simply because of greed. For the last few decades, cupidity and indecency has been encouraged and glorified. But for those of us who don't feel comfortable screwing-over people just to get ahead, there's not much to do. And for those who don't have the knowledge, brain or family ties to do so; they're pretty much stuck in the pit with no chance to ever come out.

Here in Montreal, we've seen it in many neighborhoods. Some people buy a "pied-à-terre" as an investment yet never even come for a stay. They know that the value of the building protects their assets. It's the case in the old Griffintown, Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa), Parc-Extension and Mile-End (Mile-Ex), Plateau Mont-Royal... And the poor people who can't pay the high rents are forced to move to the southern and northern cities.

Where I live, the only businesses we not have are grocery stores, dollar stores, and Walmart. Almost every restaurant is eating their socks.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »
According to Klaus Schwab of the World Economic Forum (a private club for the wealthiest on this planet) you will own nothing and you will be happy. Oh, and you will have to eat bugs to survive. Glorious future..............
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 10:14:03 PM »
Yes... I know.
I always find it a bit strange when I hear economists being so doom and gloom as I know a few and they are some of the funniest people I've ever met.
But I must say that what's going on these days is not the most reassuring the least.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 03:03:31 PM »
Written in 1516 in 'Utopia' by Sir Thomas More and as appropriate today as then:

“When I consider any social system that prevails in the modern world, I can’t, so help me God, see it as anything but a conspiracy of the rich to advance their own interests under the pretext of organising society.”

Tragically appropriate.

Take care,
Mike