Author Topic: Weekend September 2-4, 2022  (Read 1411 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend September 2-4, 2022
« on: September 02, 2022, 11:18:09 PM »
Just returned from another work trip to the islands, this time it was Rota and Saipan, CNMI.  I was only there a week but I shot a lot of film.  I usually develop, scan and edit about one roll per week so I’m going to be boring you with photos from this trip for a while. 

It’s been about 7 years since I was last in the CNMI.  I last left Saipan in 2015 about a week before Typhoon Soudelor devastated the island.  A few years later they were hit again by Typhoon Yutu, then the pandemic devastated their tourism industry.  It’s been even longer since I was last in Rota.  The effects of the storms and pandemic are more noticeable on Saipan, Rota didn’t have much of a tourism industry to begin with and it was spared the worst of the storms. 

These photos are all from Rota, my first stop on this trip.  It took me 5 flights and over 38 hours to get there, only to spend 3 days on the island.  I took every opportunity I could to shoot some film.  These were shot with a Ricoh Diacord L with Fomapan 400 developed in beer. 

Palm Trees at Pinatang Park by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

They are in the process of re-roofing this large hut. 
Chamorro Latte Hut by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The Latte stone to the right is what the traditional homes were elevated on, similar to the Latte hut above which is missing the stones. 
St. Jude Capel by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This failed resort has been abandoned for decades. 
Tree in the Lobby by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend September 2-4, 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 10:18:18 AM »
Back to the cold north: Early this summer I walked down to the town centre with my KMZ Horizont. I haven't used it much, but I have already learnt some lessons; like not standing close to a shaded area on one side for example. Here's a couple that came out alright.

KMZ Horizont / Rollei RPX 400 in Adox FX-39
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 10:20:29 AM by Kai-san »
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
I got a new camera - a 3d printed one from Chroma cameras.
It is a multi format -6x6, 6x9 and 6x12, the only problem I need to find a 50mm Mamiya press lens to cover the 6x12.
 I'll give a review of it once I have given it more of a test.

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 02:28:15 PM »
Dipped my toes in the archive once again. My mom took this photo of her brother and two buddies, heading off on a late-summer camping trip before the start of their senior year of high school in September, 1942. A year later, they'd all be in the Army, serving in Europe. All three survived the war, and returned home to start families and careers.

Eighty years on, in addition to the original negative, I have the Voigtlander 116 camera that my mom used from the late 1930s through mid 50s. Growing up, there was a neighborhood legend that, while my dad chased my sister and me around the yard with his Graflex Series D 4x5, my mom calmly took snapshots of us with the Voigtlander.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 02:37:27 PM »
Love the weekend threads. It's been really hot here, so I haven't been overly excited to sweat it out and trawl around outside with camera and film...but here's one from the long weekend with a Reto wide and slim (Vivitar clone) some Arista dunked in caffenol...my usual brew. I really like the Reto even though it's exactly like the vivitar it copied. It's small, very pocketable (I wear mine on a lanyard) and you can pack a handful of rolls of film in a pouch and be on your way. Easy!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 02:39:13 PM by astrobeck »