Author Topic: Anyone had dealings with StockphotoPro.COM?  (Read 3154 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Anyone had dealings with StockphotoPro.COM?
« on: November 30, 2007, 05:14:39 PM »
I recently received an email via Fickle from one of the people over at http://www.stockphotopro.com - the gist of which was:

:: I very much liked your photos, have you considered Stock
Photography?

Good evening Ed Wenn,
I especially liked some images in your photostream that really look good:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73515369@N00/2021741669
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73515369@N00/2037523297
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73515369@N00/1258317437

Would you consider contributing to our Stock Photography site? It's at stockphotopro. com.
You have a good eye and I think we can use a lot of your work in the collection.
Let me know if I can provide further information.

Frank Dizon
Creative Manager
StockphotoPro, Inc.

It reads like a stock/automated email so I was wondering whether everyone else has got one of these.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
Re: Anyone had dealings with StockphotoPro.COM?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
i've seen that there have been some threads on flickr about them or started by them. but i haven't been curious enough to actually read any of the threads.  i've heard mixed things about some of these places(ie some pay really low whereas others pay better - assuming anyone uses your work).  afraid i'm not much help.

william

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »
Ed-

I received an identical email from them a few weeks ago. I checked out the site, and it looked good, but the prices were quite low. Plus, you've got to wonder how frequently you'd be getting sales from a site like that compared to somewhere like Alamy. But, if you're in the stock game, I suppose the more places you get your stuff out there the more chance there is someone will see it. And a low sale is better than no sale.

For me, stock just isn't worth the hassle. Anyone else here deal in stock? What are your experiences... I've considered it a few times but each time decided against it for various reasons. Plus, I'm in the fine art game locally, and it's a bit of a faux pas to dabble in each, even while not using the same images... any thoughts?

-Jason

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »
I belong to Stock Artists Alliance, a trade organization for stock photographers. I'll ask other members if anyone has heard of them. But, because of the manner in which you were approached, I'm guessign that they are a MicroStock agency, and you should definately NOT have anything to do with Micro Stock. Micro Stock is killing the industry.

I'll post again if I find out any details about them.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:50:20 AM »
I haven't heard back anything from stock colleagues yet, but I checked out the site myself, and find it VERY problematic - for starters- specifically, the terms you must agree too to submit images. Below are just 2 clauses that are very troubling:

'COMPANY reserves the right to alter, modify or update these terms of use at any time and you agree to be bound by such modifications, alterations or updates.'

'By uploading content such as image files, Contributor Member agrees to give COMPANY and all users irrevocable nonexclusive royalty-free rights to use the content for any purpose including publication, display, modification, and creation of derivative works.'

These 2 clauses alone tell me that this is NOT a legitimate agency, but rather a giveaway of your images and rights. And clicking on the 'about us' link, and reading the background of the two owners, says to me that this is one of the current scams running.

Some background: In recent years, the two top stock agencies, Getty & Corbis have been buying up smaller agencies to consolidate the market and 'own' all the 'content' (meaning your intellectual property). Mark Getty has been quoted as saying 'intellectual property is the oil of the 21st century'. Numerous small agencies have been bought out for big bucks. And 'bought' is actually not quite acurate though, because agencies do not actually own the photographs they represent (except for those that they contracted out, to be shot under work for hire agreements). What they are buying is the name and the rights to represent that library of images.

As a result, recently, some people have seen this as an opportunity to cash in, and have tried to start stock libraries of their own (with the internet, that is easy to do, unlike in the past). Many experts speculate that these new agency start-ups are being created only with the hopes that they will be bought out by the big two. Looking at the bios of the owners, that is what I suspect here. They have no experience marketing images.

And even if they did, this is clearly a 'royalty free' agency. Meaning: the photographer gets screwed. If you have no experience with stock, there are a few things you need to understand: The most important is the value of your images, over time, to sell repeatedly (with you getting paid EVERY time, based on the useage).

Royalty free schemes go after students & amateurs mostly-- because they tend to not understand the true value of their work, or stock, and/or may just need the money. Often they buy out images at what amounts to pennies on the dollar. One big agency, several years ago, trying to build their royalty free library, offered photographers $25,000 for 100 images (that was 100 images of the agencies choosing, and you can bet they were only choosing the most highly marketable). $25,000 sounds like a lot, and if you were a struggling photographer, you might jump at it (and some did), but in the long run they lost even bigger money. Why? That 25K was a one-time payment for those 100 images.

I have 45 images that are on file with a major agency, and those 45 images, in the last 10 years, have earned me over $200,000. That's less than half the 100 images that I'd have to had sold for that 25K deal - yet I earned almost ten times that amount with them, because I own them and get paid every time they are licenced.

Sorry to go on so long, and hope I don't sound preachy, but these royalty free & microstock schemes tick me off. They are ripping off photographers.

There's a lot to learn about stock - and the industry has been in constant flux for a number of years. But to get a decent background, you can go to: www.StockArtistsAlliance.org  They have a free, downloadable magazine on their site called 'KEYWORDS'. I think there might actually be 2 different issues to download. It's a good way to get started.

That concludes my sermon for today.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:44:03 AM »
Great post- echoes some of my own feelings about the stock industry. If you're going to get into stock, you have to consider very carefully what your images are worth. Not just the image itself, but rather the aesthetic potential, marketing value (how much a company who purchases the rights is going to make from it), and the effort you have put into making it... It's not wholly different  from 'fine art' photography in that respect.

I had similar qualms as well about the above mentioned agency; specifically that were targeting people from flickr, who likely would not have know better and would just at the opportunity to get an incredible $80 an image!

-Jason

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:17:44 AM »
I am wondering why they chose those particular photos and not more of your other solid body of work. Not to say those are not worthy, they are, but you know what I mean. Maybe picked right off the top as a quick example to let you know you were the chosen one. Dunno really. I'm not familiar with this outfit so I guess if you don't respond at least you were recognized...I think...something like that. Deja vu...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 10:26:58 AM »
.... I dont think I would want to enter into an standard form agreement that asks me to give up my rights to control the integrity of the image and offers "all users?" the chance to change my pictures.

If you are interesting in using the agency, you can always offer the pics to them under your own terms.  might be worth a a try, they can only say no.
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
Its gotta be a scam. I mean did you see what they chose:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73515369@N00/1258317437 !

(My dad did stock stuff, I think he told me he got 50 cents per slide. When that was what they bought...)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »
Got one of those myself. Then I took a look at the percentage that they offered vis-a-vis the price of the photos and said no way. I'd rather deal with evil Getty Images than this fly-by-night outfit -- and Getty only pays 30% which IMHO is complete ripoff, considering that some of the older stock agencies that they bought out used to pay up to 50%.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 01:27:24 AM »
I'm totally suspicious of any agency that begs people to join, even if it's via such a discriminating and elite website such as flickr. ;)
(no offence Ed, but high quality agencies, you have to hammer down their door to get a look in)

Most online agencies.. ''you load em up and we do the rest'' I think appeal to the broadest, low end of the market. (both photographers and clients) Does that do your reputation any good?

And that's before you see what their average sales per pic are, and the above mentioned clauses. Yes, the evil empire has screwed down percentages, but if you get into one of their subsidiaries you know that sales are generally bigger. 30% of a $1000 is a bucket load better than 60% of F**all. The down side you have to get really serious about stock before you get accepted.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Recently there's been a lot of well-informed comment on the forum and the content on this thread definitely falls into that category.

Just let me clear up that there was no danger of me replying to the original solicitation, I just thought it was a good topic to kick off some discussion on this forum?and I wasn't disappointed.