Author Topic: Friday 13th Weekend Thread  (Read 1234 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Friday 13th Weekend Thread
« on: December 13, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
A little light in the darkness, shot just a few days ago.

Contax N1 / Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.0 / Kodak Portra 400
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: Friday 13th Weekend Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
Good start, Kai.

Following up with some color. Shot on the Bronica with some expired Ektachrome 64.

Or else - Ektachrome 64
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Haven't really shot much but I'll be in Montreal for the week of the 23rd, so I hope to get something done there.

Take care!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
What in the world are you going to be doing in Montreal for Xmas week?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
I took a trip to the Japanese Tea Garden this week. It was raining, so there weren't a lot of visitors, but the gardeners, including this guy, were still working. Mamiya RZ67 with a 180 lens, HP5+, D76.

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »
^^ Francois , chances are pretty good he'll be having fun i ;D .  Peter

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
I'll be visiting my cousin who is doing his Ph.D at the University of Montreal, and I'll be going with my old roommate whose sister lives there since the mid-90s! If anyone is around, I'd be up for a bite to eat and some drinks.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
I'll be visiting my cousin who is doing his Ph.D at the University of Montreal, and I'll be going with my old roommate whose sister lives there since the mid-90s! If anyone is around, I'd be up for a bite to eat and some drinks.

Bring back some St-Viateur bagels for me! My biggest regret from my last trip there is that I didn't bring back a dozen dozen bagels from there ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 10:36:21 PM »
Personally, I'm more of a Fairmount guy.
Besides, they're the first ones to create a NASA approved bagel (their bagels went into space on the shuttle).

And there's also Schwartz smoked meat.
And if you want the best baloney sandwich in town, there's Willensky's Light Lunch just next door to Fairmount Bagel. Their decor hasn't changed in over 60 years. The only thing they've added is a donation box for the cardiology institute  ;D
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 12:45:41 AM »
Next time I'm in MTL I'll do a Fairmount vs St Viateur comparison. Didn't get to go to Fairmount in the 1.5 days I was there ;D

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:42:49 PM »
I'll definitely check that out. Any areas I should avoid while in Montreal?

P.S: Ironically, I live in Fairmount, Philadelphia  :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
Montreal is overall a pretty safe place. Crime is pretty low when compared to the US. Even though I wouldn't do some night photography alone, chances of anything happening are pretty low.
The most dangerous thing these days are intersections. There is at least one pedestrian that gets run over every day, so do be extra careful when crossing the streets. Motorists in Montreal have a reputation of driving like maniacs, and that reputation is true.
As for bad neighborhoods, use common sense, read the streets. I would avoid Montreal Nord and Snowdon, but it's unlikely you would go there.
If you have doubts, don't be afraid to ask a policeman or just walk in a fire station and ask them. They're always pretty nice when you come to them for information (they always like being helpful).

But most likely, you'll be facing uninteresting places more than crime.

If you want to sample old world charm, take a stroll down the Vieux-Montreal. While it is a tourist trap, it does retain some of that old European taste.
For out of this world architecture, there's no place like the Olympic park.
If you want to see some international flair, there's Le Quartier International with its big city skyscrapers.
The Golden square mile has all the luxury you can think of, especially Ogilvy's department store (I don't know anybody who can afford anything they sell there).
The Mile End is the hip artists neighborhood that is going through rapid gentrification. That's where Fairmount and St-Viateur bagel are located.
For Italian stuff, La Petite Italie is the place to go.
The city of Westmount has one of the best little known views of the city. There's a place called Summit Crescent that has the best view of the skyscrapers.
And if you want to see the most boring suburb in the world, just cross Jacques-Cartier Bridge (or take the metro) to Longueuil...

I would also recommend studying the city map a bit before coming. There is so much road work these days that a GPS is not always very helpful, especially when you go west.

Also, be careful when taking people pictures. We have a weird image right law where everybody is the owner of their own image unless they are a public figure or taking part in a public event...
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
Got it, thank you so much for the info! I'll be in an area (according to google maps), called Rosemont - La Petite Patrie. I'll figure it out!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »
Rosemont is a pretty nice place.
While it's not outstanding architecturally, it is a relatively quiet neighborhood.
It's also further away from a lot of activity than other neighborhoods.
If you let me know what your interests are, I can suggest some good places to visit.

In Montreal, a lot of the action is centered around Saint-Laurent Blvd. or Ste-Catherine street.
Saint-Laurent is often called La Main as it is the main street splitting the city between East and West. There you find all sorts of funky little shops that sell everything from clothes with an Indian flair to stained glass supplies. Originally it's been a street of immigrants. You find remnants of the Jewish community, it crosses the Portugese neighborhood (you can still find some traditional Portugese grocery stores that sell dried fish in a basket) and host of other nations.
Ste-Catherine is more commercial. It goes from Westmount in the west to Hochelaga in the east (it's a one way street). It's got everything. The corner of St-Laurent and Ste-Catherine is the redlight district. and further east it turns into The Village, a neighborhood where most of the gay community is concentrated. The further east you go, the poorer the place.

René-Lévesque street is another very important boulevard that goes East-West. While it's mostly skyscrapers and big business, there is a place where you can loose a few hours. In the west, there is Cathédrale Marie-Reine-Du-Monde that is magnificent. Just next to it is the Queen Elisabeth hotel. If you ask the desk, they will let you know how to get to the John Lennon and Yoko Ono suite. A definite pilgrimage for any Lennon fan. There is a plaque on the wall to commemorate the bed-in that took place there. And it's just next to Place Ville-Marie, an emblematic skyscraper and Gare Centrale, the big train station. This is all easily accessible by metro.

The Olympic stadium also offers plenty of stuff to do. You can take the tram up the tower, it's just next door to the Biodôme, Botanical Gardens and Planetarium.

Then, there's the Saint-Joseph-Oratorio with it's life size manger exhibit. Notre-Dame Basilica that is a reproduction of Notre-Dame-de-Paris. And there's Chapelle Bonsecour which is very popular for it's boat themed decoration.

And there is also the Lac Aux Castors which is way up on the mountain and has a belvedere with an incredible view of the city. This one's accessible by bus.
For a lot of bus and metro info, be sure to bookmark the Société de Transport de Montréal http://www.stm.info/en
They have a route planner.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:38:32 PM by Francois »
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
Tsk, tsk, so many words and so few pictures!  :-\
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
Problem is I don't have pictures of all those places...
Francois