Author Topic: FUJIFILM NEOPAN 100 ACROS II  (Read 2560 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
FUJIFILM NEOPAN 100 ACROS II
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:12:08 AM »
This is pretty amazing news, maybe Fuji isn’t abandoning film.  Hopefully it has the same reciprocity characteristics as the old Acros.   Begins shipping this fall.

https://emulsive.org/articles/brand-new-film-from-fujifilm-neopan-100-acros-ii-announced-begins-shipping-autumn-2019?fbclid=IwAR2Y95h-HfyQIbS43BYjbZhwb2pYoyQi1N2-aJ3V-xqYmlohIAvhDW9MFeY
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:25:03 AM by Bryan »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: FUJIFILM NEOPAN 100 ACROS II
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
Wow!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
Yes, I saw this on a news feed this morning. Best news from the film side of Fuji in years...!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
definitely newsworthy!
I hope it does have the same reciprocity because it's really nice in pinhole
 8)

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
Can't wait!!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
I also tried it only once in a pinhole camera and was really blown away by how good it was.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »
My fridge has three film stocks in it right now: HP5+, FP-100C, and Acros, and my supplies of the latter two are dwindling. So I kickstarted the One Instant project, and now I hear this - it's turning into a good year! I hope they begin making the new Acros II in 120 and 4x5 soon. Acros is so great for pinholes.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
Could Neopan 1600 (my favorite film of all time) be next???

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
I have fond memories of that film too. Maybe it will come back?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »
You never know. Anything is possible.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
I'm going to be the cynic here, and propose that Fuji is trying to pull a fast one on us. Why would they cut multiple lines of film based on insufficient budget, and then spend who knows how much money on research, development, testing, etc on a new version of an existing film stock? I say they have a warehouse full of (old) Acros that they need to get rid of so that they can cut production of it as well, and by relabeling it as "NEW" Acros they'll be able to get it out of their warehouse faster. Prove me wrong ;D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »
Somebody will probably say that you're cooking up a conspiracy Satish, but I cannot prove you wrong.  ;) Whatever lies behind this, it is not done out the goodness of the Fuji board of directors hearts. But why Acros, now that everybody's freezers are bursting at the seams with the stuff? Had it been Neopan 400 or 1600 I think we would have seen riots in front of the few remaining stores that carry film. Is it just me, or is there a whiff of fish in the air?  ::)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 10:17:57 PM »
I know that low speed films are easier to produce, so that might explain the 100 speed.

But in a sense, Fuji is a company I simply can't understand. While the Japanese are usually quite rational, to me Fuji's business choices simply make no sense.

But all I'm hoping is that this is a long term commitment this time.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
Fuji's business choices simply make no sense.

This is exactly why I'm proposing the conspiracy theory ;D I'm trying to fit the round peg of Fuji's actions into the square hole of their policies, and what I'm getting is that they're following their policies (phase out film, focus on electronics and whatnot), and they're just trying to spin anything they can to achieve that end. But then again, I lost all faith in Fuji back when they started killing film, so I don't have the least biased take on it ;D

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 02:34:57 AM »
I'm going to be the cynic here, and propose that Fuji is trying to pull a fast one on us. Why would they cut multiple lines of film based on insufficient budget, and then spend who knows how much money on research, development, testing, etc on a new version of an existing film stock? I say they have a warehouse full of (old) Acros that they need to get rid of so that they can cut production of it as well, and by relabeling it as "NEW" Acros they'll be able to get it out of their warehouse faster. Prove me wrong ;D

Proof is that would make no sense from a sales and marketing perspective.

Cutting spending on other lines would free up money for reformulating (ie. cheapening) their better selling product (eg. Acros 100). If they wanted to sell Acros fast as possible to get rid of it, they would just say they were discontinuing it as they did - spending money on printing new packaging for a discontinued product that has no planned future would be insane.
Saying up front that "Acros II is coming out very soon, which is why we're discontinuing the current Acros" would be a great way to end up with tons of unsaleable stock while people wait for the new product.

I too wondered why Acros was being discontinued, because its spot in Fuji's product line and its popularity seemed to make it a natural choice for the company to stick with. I thought perhaps it was a ploy to sell off an old run before a new run was started, ala Holga (remember when the Holga tooling was "destroyed" and there were going to be no new Holgas, ever! - and then a few months later new Holgas) but an Acros II is an even smarter marketing ploy (why didn't Holga think up a Holga II box?).

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
conspiracy theories aside...if anyone has any "found in the desert" Acros, let me know...I'll take it!
 ::) 8) :o ;D :P

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

As they have been clear it is reformulated with finer grain, it will be easy to see that it is different than the old Acros.  These conspiracy theories are getting really tiring.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »
Finer grain can mean anything in a sense. It's a bit like saying that the new model car has better gas mileage because it does 1 more MPG.
While it's true that it's better on paper, it's only marginally better and maybe not in all conditions.

I feel it's going some similar situation on Fuji's part. But still, if they kept Neopan's personality and color sensitivity, I'll be happy.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »
I'm a bit concerned with the finer grain bit because I like the grain of the original Acros. It had character (unlike FP4, which is a very nice film but a bit too smooth for me).

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 12:52:55 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:57:52 PM by Jeff Warden »

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 04:56:36 AM »
I'm a bit concerned with the finer grain bit because I like the grain of the original Acros. It had character (unlike FP4, which is a very nice film but a bit too smooth for me).

Are you sure you’ve got this right?  Acros is finer grained than FP4. 

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »

Are you sure you’ve got this right?  Acros is finer grained than FP4.

Maybe my impression of FP4 as being a bit too smooth for my taste comes from lower contrast rather than finer grain.