Author Topic: Don't you just love found pictures?  (Read 11386 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Don't you just love found pictures?
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »
(Also, I give myself a huge leg up by playing the world cities games, as opposed to the "wheat field in the middle of Russia" games ;D )

DazzlingDave

• 35mm
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2019, 07:40:14 AM »
The car on the right is a Ford Anglia 100E (1953–59).  The other car looks like a Morris Minor from about the same era.  Seeing the front grill would help date the Morris better, I think they used that same basic design for several years.
Sorry to be pedantic but the car on the right is a Ford Prefect which was the four door version of the 100E although the production dates are the same.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2019, 03:45:55 PM »
I'd pretty much be stuck googling street addresses and business names....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
The car on the right is a Ford Anglia 100E (1953–59).  The other car looks like a Morris Minor from about the same era.  Seeing the front grill would help date the Morris better, I think they used that same basic design for several years.
Sorry to be pedantic but the car on the right is a Ford Prefect which was the four door version of the 100E although the production dates are the same.

Good catch Dave.  When dating cars from that era the grill is the best feature to look for, they seemed to keep body styles for several years but changed the grill quite often.  On many US cars the grill was changed almost every year. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
When I was buying my Zeiss Ikon (http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6181.msg134151#msg134151) a few days ago the seller had two other cameras he was trying to sell, an Olympus OM-G and an Argus TLR, neither of which I was interested in buying.  The Argus had an exposed roll of 620 Kodacolor in it so I had him throw that in with the Zeiss.  I developed it in Rodinal 1:50 for 11 minutes.  There isn't much useful in the images for dating when it was shot.  Kodacolor was first made in 1942 and discontinued in 1963 so that narrows it down to about two decades.  Most of the other shots were poorly exposed, I think they likely used a flash for this one so it had the best exposure. 

Man Feeding Dog by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:44:02 PM by Bryan »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
I wonder what the guy saw in the dog bowl?  ;D
He's got that what the f*** is that look on his face :)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2019, 03:07:41 AM »
Found some more film.  I picked up a Kodak Signet 35 at a sale over the weekend and found a roll of Kodachrome 64 in it.  This is how I developed it, all liquids were at about 20 C:

1.  Pre-soaked the film in water for a few minutes.
2.  Soaked the film in a mixture of 50 grams of Sodium Carbonate in 500 ml of distilled water for one minute with several vigorous agitations.  This will remove the rem-jet backing.
3.  Rinsed and agitated in tap water at least 3 times.
4.  Developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 20 minutes with continuous agitation for the first two minutes then 10 seconds every minute after that.
5.  Water stop bath, 3 rinses.
6.  Normal fix.
7  rinse in running tap water for 4 minutes.
8.  Gentle squeegee between fingers under running water to get any remaining rem-jet off.  You will see black soot on your fingers if there is still some remaining. 
9.  Hang to dry with a weight at the bottom to help get the curl out.  This is old film and it will have a lot of curl to it.

Horse Pasture Landscape by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Poolside Kodachrome by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Glad those came out Bryan! I tried a similar dev scheme with some very old Kodachrome and I got a whole bunch of nothing :'( A friend of mine had sent it to me to try to develop, so I felt even worse, but I did give him the disclaimer that 60 year old film has no guarantees! ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
I haven't seen a pool like that in years!
My grandma had a similar umbrella in the yard.
I'm really glad you got something out of it :)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
Less than half of the 20 exposure roll was shot, I was surprised how well these ones came out.  The others probably didn’t come out well due to poor exposure when they were shot.  I was trying to figure out what one of the shots was, I accidentally took a very fuzzy picture of my dog when I was fussing with the camera.  The Signet needs some work, I’ll have to clean the shutter mechanism and replace the rangefinder beamsplitter.  I’ve been hanging onto a broken Minolta Hi-Magic F just for the beamsplitter, they fit perfectly into the Signet.