Author Topic: Online film vendor warning  (Read 891 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Online film vendor warning
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:17:36 AM »
I recently bought five rolls of Eastman 5222 (Double-X) from here

https://www.ultrafineonline.com/ko52doxblwhf.html

The price was cheaper than Cinestill or the Film Photography Project.

I shot and developed my first roll and it had repeated bands of exposure across the frame with clear sprocket hole exposure marks. The camera has not had any such light leak problem with any other roll of film.

So I wrote the company, explained the situation, and sent them a pic of a section of the negative. Anyway, been having an extended back and forth with them where they insist the problem must be with my camera (despite my repeatedly telling them only their film presented this problem in my camera). They suggested I shoot another roll in a different camera. I asked why should I waste my time doing that. I'm not their quality control tester. I suggested instead that I send back the remaining four rolls and they can do all the testing they want. But I want nothing to do with their film and I also want a full refund.

Anyway, they continue to insist it's not their fault. They are obviously not a vendor that cares about customer satisfaction.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Online film vendor warning
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:44:17 PM »
That's weird.
I'm wondering, are the bands vertical or at an angle?
Could be their fault, as in faulty equipment or handling. Could be the cassettes that are faulty. But it could also be either their spool of your package that was x-rayed at some point.
But never the less, they should stand behind their products no matter what.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
From their website

"We offer competitive pricing, along with the best customer service available. We understand that long - term customer satisfaction depends on our ability to give you the highest quality..... for the best price."

NOT!

Maybe you should quote that back to them.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I will.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
Just goes to show you, you get what you pay for. Their prices are low, their product quality is lower, and their customer service is most definitely the lowest.