Author Topic: Thicker Than Water  (Read 2500 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Thicker Than Water
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
Here's one hot off the press (read, "scanner") that I wanted to share...'cos I'm proud and all that. My son, Joe Wenn, born on 3rd July this year and his great grandfather, Charlie Wenn, born in 1916. I'm very glad they could meet each other  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:37:30 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Thicker Than Water
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
That is great!
Rare are the kids who get to meet their great-grandparents.
And nowadays, kids who never even get to meet their grandparents are getting more common... that is a sad thought :'(

But if they don't know what they're missing, it can't hurt them...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »
Ed, that's a fabulous portrait of your son and grandfather.
You must frame that!

Precious, and what a moment in time to capture.

Love it.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:41:59 AM »
Very sweet. Love that Joe's looking directly at the camera.

Philip

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:24:38 AM »
My sons will only know, my dad, their grandfather through photographs and the spoken word. Thank you for sharing the wonderful photograph.
Philip

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:09:03 AM »
which one is joe and which is charlie?

kidding. nice shot. a lotta years between them.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 07:51:07 AM »
Glorious!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
amazing!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »
very nice Ed - now all you need is a reasonably experienced darkroom printer who lives not too far away to do you a nice print as a christmas present ....  do you know anyone who might offer something along those lines ...?

(send it down and i'll get it back to you before xmas)

L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »
all you need is a reasonably experienced darkroom printer who lives not too far away to do you a nice print as a christmas present
(send it down and i'll get it back to you before xmas)

Very generous offer, The Druid; thanks a million!! If you could also send it on to the nominated recipient that will be my print exchange sorted  ;D Only joking......honest. Cheers though. This is one that I'd like to get see properly printed. Do you use Kentmere paper?  :-* :-* :-*

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »
I seen this at your flickr....geez, what to say, Ed. Touching really as I lost all of mine long long ago. Sad to say I will never give my folks the same joy. Just as well. The Wenn's sure live long! Very nice photograph...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Families are indeed a strange beast. My own relationship with mine changed dramatically around the time I hit my mid 30's and then again once Amy was born 2 and a half years ago. Photography-wise, having kids has made think about the value/necessity of taking this type of snap and creating a visual record of my kids spending time with their grandparents and my grandfather.

Achieving this at a 'quality snapshot' level is kind of fun and/or challenging (isn't everything to do with kids!) and sometimes it's the only type of photography I find time/opportunity to spend more than a few minutes on?.but you've got to be quick with the shutter release because babies and young children never hang around :-)

An extra note on my grandfather; he joined the Air Force during WWII and trained as a pilot, but moved into an aerial reconnaissance role before manning a land-based, mobile processing vehicle until VE Day. Essentially he spent the last 18 months of his forces career (1944-46) developing film and producing prints (aerial stuff, official propaganda photos, personal snaps himself and other people in camp and black market material of scantily clad ladies). He was based in South Africa, the Indian sub-continent and the Far East. The cool part is that I have his photo collection from those days and his war diaries (with almost daily entries). Loads of interesting stuff in there. A future project I have set myself is to create a website matching diary entries to appropriate photos. It was quite a moving experience reading those diaries.

Being the only Wenn male on my side of the family, there was a bit of pressure on me to continue the family name and no-one was more delighted than Charlie, the oldest living Wenn male, when Joe was born this July. The sad part is that Charlie is now virtually blind and while he could hold his great-grandson and cuddle and talk to him, he couldn't see him particularly well.