Author Topic: The 36 Exposures Challenge  (Read 2140 times)

russmorris

The 36 Exposures Challenge
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:22:49 AM »
Check out FILE Magazine's film challenge:

http://www.filemagazine.com/36contest.html

.. interesting, yes?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:33:16 AM by russmorris »

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
Re: The 36 Exposures Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:33:49 AM »
What a timely post, given a conversation I had today at work.

Fellow comes to replace some burnt out fluorescent tubes in my radioactive room. I guess it was a slow day in maintenance, because after completing the task, fellow stands in the door of my office for a chat. After a bit of talk about radioactivity and what we use it for (the kind of talk I'm sure you all have from time to time) he noticed my 24" computer screen. After admiring it he told me he was into photography and had just bought a fancy digital Nikon slr. Upon which he extolled the virtues of being able to take 300 shots and then cull them while uploading to his computer. I sat and smiled and shook my head, all the time thinking how although I have a nice Canon dslr I haven't used it for months because I find using film so much more satisfying.

As for the Challenge...very interesting idea.

(PS - reading over this, I realize I make it sound like I was involved in some kind of guy-guy pick-up conversation. It truly wasn't like that at all, I swear).

woodstove

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:41:29 AM »
I'm lusting after second prize, that Lensbabies bellows/tilt lens...

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:07:33 AM »
Pretty challenging.  My writing skills even wouldn't begin to convey the stuff in my head. :)

Paul- radioactive room, huh? interesting... What radioactivity to you play with?

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:56:45 AM »
Tammy - 32P is our isotope of choice. Shaken, not stirred in our reaction cocktails (strangely appropriate). And to keep with the cyanotype theme being discussed in another thread...here's an art piece I made with cyanotype on X-ray film that had been exposed to said 32P. All are scientists whose work involved the structure or function of DNA. The detail shot is Maurice Wilkins, a co-discoverer of the structure of DNA with Watson and Crick printed over a DNA base sequence.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:13:21 AM by rdbkorn »

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »
Gee, that's pretty cool.

woodstove

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:09:47 AM »
Great stuff! Ghostly, even.