Author Topic: Snowed in for Christmas  (Read 2717 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Snowed in for Christmas
« on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:09 PM »
We're at our 2nd massive snow storm of the season...
After this one, we'll have had close to 1 meter of snow in two weeks.
So, I decided to post a storm picture.
Hope you enjoy it... it's so Winter Holiday-ish.
Perfect for a White Christmas  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Snowed in for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
you think you've got it bad .... you want to see it here when it snows - golly gosh we get at least 5 (milli)meters, and all the trains, buses and taxis stop, the schools have to close, people have no way to get to work (skivers),old people buy and hoard all the bread and milk in the country.  It's like a post apocalyptic battle zone.  then 3 hours later is thaws and we all get on with things.

so count your blessings - 1 meter.  tsk.. If only!

;) 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:44 PM »
Snow is a fun thing. Either we complain about it or we just plain like it!
Today was fun, watching the snow fall from inside. Outside, it's not too cold but when you breath in through the nose, you can feel your nostrils sticking together :) I haven't seen this for years! (blame it on global warming)
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:44:25 AM »
I love the photo!
And I love the acoustics of snow, it is so still you can hear your heart poundin your head from the cold when outside.

Lovely.  What are the details of the photo?
 :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
Sounds do change a lot when it snows. Everything is more quiet. Very comforting.

The photo was shot on Kodak Gold 200... nothing special there. The lack of color is common during our winters. It could have been shot on B&W and you would barely see any difference.

My Nikon came back in all wet. The worse is avoiding getting snow on the front lens.

During the big storm, I was outside to see if there wasn't something nice to shoot when the kids came back from school. I saw this kid walking all by himself in the storm. There was a sense of quiet and loneliness in the picture. The human element also gave everything a sense of scale. I took quite a few pictures on that day but this was my favorite.
Francois

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:38:34 PM »
I'm a sucker for snow pics but that really is a beauty. I'm writing this from my parents' house in France, where the skies are slaty and the temperatures zero degrees, so I'm hoping for a covering of snow before I leave.

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »
The photo was shot on Kodak Gold 200... nothing special there. The lack of color is common during our winters. It could have been shot on B&W and you would barely see any difference.
My Nikon came back in all wet. The worse is avoiding getting snow on the front lens.

Kodak Gold is highly underrated in my opinion.   I love that stuff!

:)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
Kodak Gold is some quite nice stuff indeed. Good price too! I've still got quite a few rolls in deep freeze (got them on liquidation for very cheap at my favorite grocery store)

Ailsa, what region of France are you visiting?
I know that many regions are not very well equipped to deal with cold like that... nothing worse than trying to stay warm in a cold and damp house...
Francois

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
Ailsa, what region of France are you visiting?
I know that many regions are not very well equipped to deal with cold like that... nothing worse than trying to stay warm in a cold and damp house...

My parents live about half way between Le Mans and Tours. I'm back in the UK now - sadly no snow while I was in France. The last time there was a snowfall while I was there it was absolutely magical - we felt like we were the only people on the planet. No problem with staying warm in their house, with two woodburning stoves and a thermonuclear central heating system!

Here's a pic from the aforementioned snowfall...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
I've never been to the Loire valley... But I've been to the Midi region years ago... Nice weather and very good food!

That snow picture reminds me of the first snow we get. When you go out to the country, it looks just like that. Snow pictures are quite hard. Contrast is always either too much or too little. The landscape ends up being monochrome and getting the correct exposure is a real nightmare. Also, battery life gets to be a lot shorter.

If I could, I would send over a few shovels of all the snow we got! Since the beginning of December, Environment Canada calculated we got 118cm of snow. And when they said that, Winter hadn't even started! Its been a week since the last storm and the streets of Montreal are barely accessible in some Burroughs.

There's even a guy who's selling his snow bank on eBay. He started it as a joke asking only 0.99$ for the whole thing which is about as big as a house! This morning, the bids were up to 2500$... I'd really love to see how the buyer will transport it :)
Francois