Author Topic: A bit bewildered by enlarger choices  (Read 1290 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
A bit bewildered by enlarger choices
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
Hello.

For the first time in my adult life, I have the space to build a darkroom.

Years and years ago, I used to print on my dad's enlarger, and then the darkrooms of various adult education classes.  When they went digital, I lost interest in photography. So while I know what I will need, I am clueless about where to get it from.

Looking around at a certain auction website there are lots of brands and varying levels of completeness. Can anyone suggest q make/model to keep an eye out for? Not interested in colour, or printing bigger than 10x8 really. Something that packs down small would be an advantage when it's not in use.

chris667

• Peel Apart
Re: A bit bewildered by enlarger choices
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
Oh, and this is the shed on the right. It looks like it's being eaten by a buddleia:

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »
I'm envious as I would have to convert our bathroom if I wanted to do the same - and, whilst my missus is very tolerant of most things, that is not going to happen.

As a much younger man and before I was married, I had a small condenser enlarger that worked well for me.  I can't recall the brand, though.

This link might be a good starter for ten....

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=110
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

FrankE

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
the first question you need to answer for yourself if what formats you want to print. Will it be just 35mm or also medium format and possible 4x5 large format. If it is all three you best bet is probably a Besler or an Omega model which does all three. Then the question becomes condensor or diffusion enlarger.

More than likely you will end up choosing a unit that becomes available first. Keep checking Craiglist or your local equivalent. There are also some facebook groups that frequently show units advertise. I just donated two Durst enlargers on behalf of a friend. The sad reality is there appear to be more enlargers available than people wanting them these days.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
Quite true....
There are a few big brands that almost guarantee good quality.
Durst, Omega and Besseler were probably the three biggest names.
I also have an LPL which is pretty good.

The big advantage of big names is the availability of spare parts if you have an incomplete set.
Also, if you have the space, think about getting something that will handle formats bigger than you planned.
My first enlarger could handle only 35mm and as soon as I got into medium format I was forced to get another one.
And now I have a collection of enlargers in the darkroom....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »
on the topic of THIS
Not interested in colour, or printing bigger than 10x8 really.
can someone show an enlarger that does negs that are larger than 8x10?! I don't think I've heard of one even
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
on the topic of THIS
can someone show an enlarger that does negs that are larger than 8x10?! I don't think I've heard of one even

Jonas, I think (as above) it's "printing bigger than 10x8" that's relevant here - rather than having an enlarger that will accept negs bigger than 10x8.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
on the topic of THIS

Jonas, I think (as above) it's "printing bigger than 10x8" that's relevant here - rather than having an enlarger that will accept negs bigger than 10x8.
That would be cool though. It could be 20 feet tall with some 3000 watt lamp. Or maybe you could mount it sideways on a flatbed truck and coat the sides of buildings with liquid light then make giant prints directly! Jonas, see if you can get a public works grant and do this!!   :P
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »
Thank you folks!

Yes, I am not really interested in PRINTS bigger than 10x8. Really big black and white prints make me think of Athena posters. But I would like to see someone else make one.

As for film format, I think I will stick with 35mm. If anything, I would like to go smaller. Much rather dozens of postcards than one big print on my wall.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
on the topic of THIS
There definitely were some that did larger than 8x10 negatives. I know the aerial film enlargers were pretty huge.
And then there were some like those made by Elwood that could handle giant negatives in the 11x14 range. They might even have done some that handled 16x20.
And there were the commercial horizontal enlargers like the one Lina Bessonova got. It's a 12x15" monster.

From her instagram https://www.instagram.com/linabessonova.photography/
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »
ah, sorry! though I'm glad that I misunderstood so I got to see that :O
/jonas