Author Topic: I'll show you mine, if I can see yours  (Read 2299 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
I'll show you mine, if I can see yours
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »
Would it be an idea to have a thread where people post their website address?

Here's mine. It's very old, so comes with three caveats: 1) it was made before the world dominance of the iAnything - so if you want to view it on an i device, you'll need Flash capability (or something like that - I don't understand computers at all) 2) I was then a generalist - so it includes a bit of everything; now I only shoot nudes. 3) there are one or two nude pictures on it, so I leave it to you if you view it at work.

Lastly - as I'm sure most FW's will realise - any special effects were created in the camera or in the lab - they are all 100% PS-free (apart from resizing).

www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Re: I'll show you mine, if I can see yours
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »
Definitely a case to be made for an upgrade, Zap, so that your pics can be seen at their best and at the viewer's own pace.  Maybe using one of the free web packages if you don't code yourself.  I made my site phone-friendly last year and the traffic doubled almost immediately.

www.sandehalynch.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
I think you better start thinking about that flash thing pretty fast if you want to still have any traffic  at all.
There is a large security hole in flash which forced Adobe to pull the plug on the product. As a result all browsers will kill compatibility with it on their next version.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »
I like both David's (Zapsnaps') and Sandeha's websites and would echo Sandeha's suggestion for an interface on David's that allows the viewer to move around at their own pace.  I'm not sufficiently tech-savvy to fully understand what Francois said but he's well up on these things and I would take his word on the subject.

I've just completed building and populating - to an extent - my own website: www.pauljenkin.com.  It's mostly film but I will be posting both film and digital on there - so be warned..... ;)

I'll be adding more content in the months ahead but would welcome any constructive criticism on offer - whilst bearing in mind that I'm trying to keep as clean, uncluttered and minimalist look to it as possible.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
www.hookstrapped.com

I use viewbook and like it a lot as far as managing and presenting photos. They have standard slide shows but also scrolling

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
Francois: thank you for telling me about the Flash problem - that's enough to overcome my inertia and re-do it. I think I'll have 2 options on the landing page - figurative or everything else.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
I know pretty much everything is moving on to HTML5...
I know a lot of flash programmers who will see themselves out of a job in the very near future.

FWIW, I always liked well designed simple classic HTML pages. Granted they are harder to update and don't allow little animations and as much interaction but on the server side of things, they take no power to host and are simply bulletproof...
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
FWIW, I always liked well designed simple classic HTML pages. Granted they are harder to update and don't allow little animations and as much interaction but on the server side of things, they take no power to host and are simply bulletproof...
+10

I closed the page after 10 seconds. I never understood why so many (and also famous) photographers had designed their sites with that blinki-blinki thing to show stills. uBlock, Flashblock and Ghostery are my friends. Always on. I know they don't do much to protect my privacy, but surfing the web without them would be horrible for me. f zeitgeist.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:34:58 PM by imagesfrugales »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
They do work to some extent. Right now, the best plugins are Noscript and disconnect. To this I add AdBlock plus to get rid of ads on all website and remove the YouTube ads.

But for the ultimate in privacy, you have to get TOR browser. This thing does script blocking and onion routing through three anonhmizing proxy's before giving you the site. It's what's used to send stuff to sensitive sites like Wikileaks.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
This thing does script blocking and onion routing through three anonhmizing proxy's before giving you the site.

Onion Routing?  anonhmizing proxy's?

White Flowers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »
Ahhh... stupid Android keyboard...
It's an anonymizing proxy, not an anonhmizing proxy's. I don't even know what language this is! ::) ::) ::)
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »
Well played Bryan :D

I just re-themed my site to shift the emphasis from the blog to the photos. TRIGGER WARNING: There be digital photos on that thar site! ;D

http://www.indofunkstudios.com/

This Wordpress theme actually looks better on a phone than on a computer! I'm not sure if I'll keep that dumb Flickr pagescrape as my front page, or just have it go directly to my portfolio page. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the tiled photos on the portfolio pages, but for a free Wordpress plugin I'm not really going to get any better. At least once you open one photo it goes into a full-screen scrollable lightbox.

6cmsquare

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »
I like the simplicity and ease of use of the wordpress blog style site... I should maybe add a galley button though?

www.fotografialenta.com
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Ironic that just in the last three days the menu on my site has broken.  Apparently you can no longer use php scripts within html, which is a real nuisance.  Looks like there's work to be done.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
I have a site as well. It needs some work.  ;D

http://urbanhafnerphotography.com/

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Hi everyone

www.instantsurf.co.uk

handbuilt using bootstrap and some jquery plugins for those interested!

Cheers

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
My website is www.claudiogomboli.com, but Instagram is usually more updated :/

I use the platform http://koken.me/ it's quite nice for photo galleries, too.

www.instantsurf.co.uk
I recognised the domain since I'm following you on Instagram :)