Author Topic: Weekend July the 1st - July the 3rd  (Read 7089 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Weekend July the 1st - July the 3rd
« on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:01 PM »
Pentax Z1p, Sigma 28mm-200mm f3.8-5.6 Aspherical, unknown 100asa film, Tetenal C41 kit.

day_lily by Miljenko Vrankovic, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:11:55 AM by Fluminian »
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Re: Weekend July the 1st - July the 3rd
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:18:29 AM »
Abandoned mine in County Durham. This was Portra 400 accidentally developed in Firstcall B&W developer - because I had two films on the table and loaded the Portra instead of the Acros.

Grove Rake mine
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »
A couple of beauties to kick things off this weekend.  Love both of them but I have to say I particularly like Kevin's dramatic B&W.

Mine are a couple from a roll I shot around where I work, earlier this year.  Leica M7 + Tri-X.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:32:45 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »
Kevin: that shot looks GREAT in B&W, I don't really miss seeing it in color :)

Fluminian: I actually have a shot from this week that is the mirror image of that one, but I'm not sure if that will be the one I post in this thread. Meanwhile, you can see it here ;)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
Fluminian: I actually have a shot from this week that is the mirror image of that one, but I'm not sure if that will be the one I post in this thread. Meanwhile, you can see it here ;)

Indeed you have and the colour rendition is almost the same. I love the night shot at the top of your page.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
I really like that shot, Kevin, and I agree with Satish that B&W suits it well.

Mine is from Vermont a couple months ago. Leica IIIg, Elmar 50/3.5, FP4+ in Caffenol C-H(RS):

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
Abandoned mine in County Durham. This was Portra 400 accidentally developed in Firstcall B&W developer - because I had two films on the table and loaded the Portra instead of the Acros.

Cool! I wonder if I can stand develop some old Kodak Ultra 400 in Rodinal, would that work? According to Satish Rodinal will develop anything.  ;D
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
You can develop any color film in b&w dev. Just be prepared for the surprisingly dark brown base.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
You can develop any color film in b&w dev.
[...]

that's true. Some time ago I shot some Kodak Vision2 250D at ISO 50 and developed it with D-23. Even economically it does not make too much sense since colour film is so expensive, results are nice and the experiment could be a bit amusing.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »
I like the way this thread is shaping up this week. Nice shots all. Here is one from my restored Isolette III shooting Acros, dev'd in Parodinal 1:25. This lens seems to have some dramatic fall-off on the right and left edges. Not sure why that is.

Isolette-Acros-010 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
great start guys!
Since I live just miles from Route 66, I often see classic cars around town and in parking lots.

Holga with Tri-x
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:41:40 PM by astrobeck »

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
[...]
This lens seems to have some dramatic fall-off on the right and left edges.
[...]

James, your Isolette III has the Apotar or the Solinar? Mine has the Apotar and results are very correct.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
[...]
This lens seems to have some dramatic fall-off on the right and left edges.
[...]

James, your Isolette III has the Apotar or the Solinar? Mine has the Apotar and results are very correct.

I have the Apotar 4.5 also. This shot was wide open if I recall.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
One more from a late version Isolette III, this with the Solinar and Tri-X in DDX:

And one from the Picket:

Round and about Oxford at a conference last weekend.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
You can develop any color film in b&w dev.
[...]

that's true. Some time ago I shot some Kodak Vision2 250D at ISO 50 and developed it with D-23. Even economically it does not make too much sense since colour film is so expensive, results are nice and the experiment could be a bit amusing.

I have never been able to get anything decent out of the Kodak Ultra no matter what speed I shoot it at, the results I get back from the lab are terrible. So I might as well do some experiments with it instead of throwing it in the bin.

Contax 645 / Zeiss Distagon 3.5 35mm / Expired Kodak T-max 100 in Xtol
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »

Cool! I wonder if I can stand develop some old Kodak Ultra 400 in Rodinal, would that work? According to Satish Rodinal will develop anything.  ;D

Of course it will! :D :D :D

Surprised you can't get anything you like from Kodak Ultramax (that's the same as Gold, but I thought they didn't use that name outside the US). Maybe because it's old. I have come to love in-date Gold 400, and I generally push it 2 stops to 1600. Actually, I recall hating lab-developed Gold 400 before I used to home develop, so maybe that's it? You gotta home-process it to get the best out of it?

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 06:42:37 PM »
Surprised you can't get anything you like from Kodak Ultramax (that's the same as Gold, but I thought they didn't use that name outside the US). Maybe because it's old. I have come to love in-date Gold 400, and I generally push it 2 stops to 1600. Actually, I recall hating lab-developed Gold 400 before I used to home develop, so maybe that's it? You gotta home-process it to get the best out of it?

In the UK Poundland used to see Kodak Ultramax for, you guessed £1, and I bought a lot and hated it - very saturated. I ended up selling it on to a buyer who appeared to be a London tourist-goods supplier.  Poundland now well Agfa Vista 200 (rebadged FujiColor 200) which is miles better.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »

In the UK Poundland used to see Kodak Ultramax for, you guessed £1, and I bought a lot and hated it - very saturated. I ended up selling it on to a buyer who appeared to be a London tourist-goods supplier.  Poundland now well Agfa Vista 200 (rebadged FujiColor 200) which is miles better.

Aha! Now I know how this film ended up in my fridge. Your tourist-goods supplier sold it on to a German tourist who thought this was very cheap. But seeing how bad this film is he swapped it for a used Polaroid camera at a small camera shop in an obscure German town. The shop owner now realizing how awful this film is he ends up desperately trying to give it away to his customers. And in walks a friend of a friend of mine who accepts some rolls just to be polite although he really is a large format guy. Arriving back home he proceeds to give theses rolls to my friend who accepts them just to be polite although he is a medium format guy. So when I walk in the door he pushes them on to me, and I remember still his last advice as I left: Put them on top of the fridge!
(The last three handovers in this story are actually true).
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »

Aha! Now I know how this film ended up in my fridge. Your tourist-goods supplier sold it on to a German tourist who thought this was very cheap. But seeing how bad this film is he swapped it for a used Polaroid camera at a small camera shop in an obscure German town. The shop owner now realizing how awful this film is he ends up desperately trying to give it away to his customers. And in walks a friend of a friend of mine who accepts some rolls just to be polite although he really is a large format guy. Arriving back home he proceeds to give theses rolls to my friend who accepts them just to be polite although he is a medium format guy. So when I walk in the door he pushes them on to me, and I remember still his last advice as I left: Put them on top of the fridge!
(The last three handovers in this story are actually true).

;D

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:57 PM »
Love all shots, but especially Beckis Holga-Thunderbird(?). I had one from Matchbox as a child and it was always my favorite toy besides my beloved teddy bear.

Here are two from a short visit in Cologne, some more can be seen here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesfrugales/sets/72157669377524391

All shot on APX100 new at boxspeed, stand develloped in Caffenol-C-L 30 minutes 23 °C, scanned with Rodagon on dslr.

l-DSC04877 by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

l-DSC04899 by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:38 PM »
Oh, a lot of very strong black and white images this week! Really like Late Developer's night shot and O2 Pilot's building.

Mine are from a couple of dishes near Darmstadt, Germany. Tutone with Angulon 90mm and 6x12 back; Film: Kodak Ektar 100 converted to black and white after the lab slightly messed up the development (green stripes on the film).

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »
Love those tutone shots!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
LD: just love that London night shot. Somehow, it feels more like NYC than London...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »
LD: just love that London night shot. Somehow, it feels more like NYC than London...

I live in NYC so I know it's not NYC, but I get what you're saying, it feels kind of "generic big city". I might say Chicago or something.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
Kevin, I like the look of the Portra 400 as black and white, great shot. 

These are shot on Tri-X with a Rolleiflex Automat and developed in beer.

Discount Parts by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Rossman Sanitary Service by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 01:06:45 AM »

I live in NYC so I know it's not NYC, but I get what you're saying, it feels kind of "generic big city". I might say Chicago or something.

Thanks Chaps.

The first one is a section of the Lloyd's building on Leadenhall Street and the bottom one is taken from outside a pub called the East India Arms on Fenchurch Street.  These places are a 2 minute walk from where I work, en-route back to Liverpool Street station from where I commute back home.  I haven't been to NYC (so I can't comment) but I have been to Chicago and I suspect that London is more on that scale.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Terry

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 01:44:36 AM »
Liking the B+W, especially Paul's rainy London at night and Kevin's happy accident.  Now here's some color from yesterday early morning.  I caught the university crew out rowing on Carnegie Lake.  Gundlach Korona, Ektar, Fujinon 210.  (I think I'd have liked the colors better if I'd shot Portra, though.)

two par Terry B, on ipernity

Terry

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
Miljenko, your flickr link seems to have gone away...

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 06:56:54 AM »
Nice weekend, everyone! Sorry, Team Color, but I'm voting for Team Monochrome this weekend. :)

I'm still scanning some stuff I souped on Monday, but a couple of quick portraits:

20160426-009 by Jack Johnson, on Flickr

20160426-019 by Jack Johnson, on Flickr

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 09:54:06 PM »
Such a strong weekend threat  :) many beautiful images, my fave is LateDeveloper´s second one, evocative shot.

Contax G1 kodak tmax 400 28mm biogon by calbisu, on Flickr

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
As always, nice weekend everyone!

Wide and slim loaded with "no name" 400 film close to two decades out of date from me.
One shot in the morning and one in the evening, less than 200 meters from each other.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:28:19 PM by Aksel »
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
pinholed carnival..home built 5 x 10 peanut can camera.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
Hey Hey!
Look who's back :)
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
Francois, I am not trying to ignore Filmwasters, I just get so caught up with life that I forget to post things..even with the best intentions 😊..I love seeing the weekend posts!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
Really like thatguychad's two pics

A few more from my Brooklyn Nights series over in Photo Essays

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 02:39:18 AM »
These are beautiful!

rpavich

• 35mm
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Nice shots here!

I'll add; Olympus XA selfie with Gracie the pug.
HP5@800 in D76.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Francois, I am not trying to ignore Filmwasters, I just get so caught up with life that I forget to post things..even with the best intentions 😊..I love seeing the weekend posts!
I wasn't talking about ignoring us at all.
I was thinking more about the too busy, sick or not enough money to spend on film part of the equation.
A bit like our own Leon who doesn't post as often as he did but always makes me happy when he drops by.
Same for Ed and big D...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
It's still the weekend in the US, or as I like to call it, "Murica F*ck Yeah Day", so here's my contribution. Part of my continuing "NYC at night" series. Not my favorite from the batch, but I love the colors :)

SRT/Gold 400 @1600/C41 5min