Author Topic: Ha Ha!  (Read 2255 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Ha Ha!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
No matter how good software gets at judging photos there will always be someone who has a problem with it.  Unfortunately people are going to start taking photos to please the software.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Good Lord. The fact that this abomination even exists is just one more sign that a) as a species, we're circling the drain, and b) those Terminator movies were on to something. The day my phone deigns to tell me how good, bad, or indifferent my photos are is the day it gets a new .45-caliber ventilation hole.

Seriously people, the damn phone does everything for you already, and now you want it to validate it's own product? If the app developer were smart, he would have cut a backroom deal with some phone manufacturer to boost the ratings of pictures taken with their phone - then the phone maker could have touted how good their phone cameras are.

Most appalling is that people are actually using it. I hate people.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
b) those Terminator movies were on to something

This is the first thing that I thought, except substitute Matrix for Terminator.

If the app developer were smart, he would have cut a backroom deal with some phone manufacturer to boost the ratings of pictures taken with their phone - then the phone maker could have touted how good their phone cameras are.

This is 100% the case. You can't design a got damn screwdriver these days without pocketing a backdoor deal.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »

Version 2 will automatically turn your 37% photo into a 98% photo

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
The only thing more lame than this idea is this execution of said lame idea. Are people so desperate for validation that they are now looking to an app on their phone? That's it. I'm designing an app that will just give immediate audio feedback for every photo. It will say things like "Wow! What a shot!", "You're the next Henri Cartier Bresson!" and "Posting selfies like that will definitely get you noticed by a Hollywood producer!" I'm guessing it will sell around a bajillion copies on the first day. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't reference HCB. Too egg-head.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »
Doesn't Flickr already do this with Explore? 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 06:39:39 PM »

Version 2 will automatically turn your 37% photo into a 98% photo

That's the Pro version. The Ultimate Package also provides a virtual assistant you can blame for the editing and then fire.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
Yeah, and their algorithm is just as bad as this one. That's not sour grapes. I recently got something 'explored', but if you look through the explored photos, they are mostly the usual over-worked 'bird on a stick' shots. Not much in the way of either artistic or aesthetic merit.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
Yeah, and their algorithm is just as bad as this one. That's not sour grapes. I recently got something 'explored', but if you look through the explored photos, they are mostly the usual over-worked 'bird on a stick' shots. Not much in the way of either artistic or aesthetic merit.

"Bird on a Stick", now I know what to call one of my shots for the weekend thread.  I don't think it will be explored though, not overworked enough. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:58:19 PM »
Oh my... (shaking head slowly)
When I think how much I used to love everything digital... at least back in the old days you used to have to work for the machine to do what you want. Now it's coming to the point where it's the machine that tells you what to do and there are countless "users" who will blindly follow what the machine tells them to do. This is just like all those GPS horror stories we keep seeing where people's stupidity takes over their body like the aliens in The Wrath of Khan...

I'm really starting to worry about what will become of photography. First it was the selfie craze that won't die, then all the stupid concepts like planking. And now this thing. The only thing left to do in integrate that algorithm MIT developed a few years ago that can convert any picture into an instant Adams, Weston or HCB and you'll have everybody claiming to be a genius because the pressed a button... That's really bringing the You press the button and we do the rest concept a tad too far for my taste. (http://petapixel.com/2014/06/01/researchers-turn-average-smartphone-portraits-stylized-pieces-art/) (I can't find the other article where the computer adjusts light and tone automatically)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
It's a good job that painters down the ages haven't been called to task over the integrity and accuracy of their depictions of historical and mythical (including Biblical) scenes, eh?

Years ago, people used to say "the camera never lies" and that's true insofar as the camera does no more and no less than what you tell it to do.  When it comes to image manipulation, all digital photography and apps like Photoshop have done is magnified the extent and ease with which the changes can be made.  How far you push those changes and the rights and wrongs are subjective and I don't believe anyone is unfailingly right or wrong.

It really disappoints me that, In the 21st century, we still allow ourselves to take any notice of apps that tell us what's good, bad or indifferent.  Are we that stupid and lazy?  For me, it's a bit like "Britain's Got Talent", "The X Factor" and "The Voice", etc.  I can only speak for myself but I really don't need some pillock like Simon Cowell (to name but one) to tell me whether the act who's just done their thing (whatever that may be) has any talent or whether I should/shouldn't like them.  Moreover, why the hell would I want to pay for the privilege by voting for them or buying some piece of geekery to tell me this photo is "better" than that photo?

We really do need to start thinking for ourselves again.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »
That's pretty much why I always said that I have a dumb phone because I'm smart!
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »
It's a good job that painters down the ages haven't been called to task over the integrity and accuracy of their depictions of historical and mythical (including Biblical) scenes, eh?

"What about a little artistic license??"

! No longer available

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »
Are people so desperate for validation that they are now looking to an app on their phone?

Yes.

Are we that stupid and lazy?

Yes.

We really do need to start thinking for ourselves again.

Those of us who never really stopped thinking for ourselves have a chance. But everyone else? Nope. No way. Because they never started in the first place.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
Those of us who never really stopped thinking for ourselves have a chance. But everyone else? Nope. No way. Because they never started in the first place.
For some reason, this reminds me of the zombie apocalypse.
Just imagine hordes of mindless gregarian souls blindly following their phone's exact directions...
(those who know Nietzsche a bit will understand)
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
Francois, you just blew my mind  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
You're welcome ;)
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
Wow! this was a great read; a perfect Filmwasters thread. Thank you, people. I loved reading every line of it and no-one mentioned lenses or filters or any of that boring stuff.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
Wow! this was a great read; a perfect Filmwasters thread. Thank you, people. I loved reading every line of it and no-one mentioned lenses or filters or any of that boring stuff.

Agreed ... And we get reference to Nietzsche! That made my day. Thanks Francois.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
Hey hey hey!
Look who's back! :)

Really glad to see you here again :)
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
Hey hey hey!
Look who's back! :)

Really glad to see you here again :)

Good to see you too Francois. I havent been wasting much film recently. The arrival of my 6x6 ondu has put a stop to that hiatus!
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
And with all the nice weather upon us (well... supposedly), you'll be able to do some outdoor fresh air processing and not get a whiff of the chems :)

I too have been a bit of on a hiatus until yesterday. But that seemingly hasn't stopped my blabbermouth from working overtime ;)
Francois