Author Topic: Memento Mori  (Read 989 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Memento Mori
« on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »
Came across this on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36389581

Too morbid for modern sensibilities but an interesting glimpse at the Victorian attitude to death

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Memento Mori
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:22:39 AM »
In this day and age, we have photos and videos of our young ones sometimes minutes or even seconds after birth. These mementos are readily available to us in the tragic event of a child's death. In the days of early photography of course everything was less portable and more expensive. So having a lasting image could have been an important part of the grieving process for loved ones. I find these very sad, but having had a niece who died at 4yrs, I am glad that I have some photos of her to remember.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »
It still happens. I recently spoke with a neighbor who on occasion has been asked to take photos of infants who died shortly after birth so that the parents will have a photo of their child.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Charles; really interesting and yet very alien to current western sensibilities.

Lara and I were at her father's side at the hospital when he died a few years ago.  His wife, who was from the Philippines, was also there.  Within moments of him dying she produced a camera (not a mobile phone) from her bag and took about half a dozen carefully and deliberately composed photos of him.  I can remember feeling really shocked and creeped out by this but we assumed (rightly or wrongly) that this was a difference of cultures and we said and did nothing.

Clearly, there was an imperative to record deceased loved ones back in the 19th century and, although societies have become more permissive, generally, I suspect most wouldn't regard this practice as acceptable behaviour today.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
This agency has been around for about ten years, running on volunteer photographers.  Well respected, I think.

https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »
I think the way they posed some of the pictures is truly macabre. But I can't tell you how much I would give for a picture of my brother who I  never knew as he died before I was born. Sadly, none were taken. So, as strange as it might seem, I wish the practice had continued.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."