Author Topic: A newly discovered product for camera repair  (Read 607 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
A newly discovered product for camera repair
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
I just wanted to share something I just got to add to my camera repair toolkit.
You know, you try and fix something with some cyanoacrylate glue and you discover it's been bonded wrong or at the wrong place? Like on your finger...
As much as I like having a camera securely in my hand, I somewhat like to let go or it from time to time as its a bit cumbersome when you have to go to the bathroom or take a shower.

So, this afternoon I paid a visit to a hobby shop and discovered a product called CA Debonder. The product is distributed by Horizon Hobby, but I'm sure there are others out there.
It comes in a small spray bottle and will get instant glue to quickly release its bond. Perfect for those fingers, battery doors and other things.
It should also be able to remove those glue fumes that have hardened on your fingerprints that for some reason were in the middle of the viewfinder lens  :-\
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: A newly discovered product for camera repair
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
Cameras and CA should never be in the same room imho. Just the fumes can cloud a lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: A newly discovered product for camera repair
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
The clouding comes from the fumes hardening on smudges that are on the lens but not very visible.
This stuff should clear them out, but I don't know if it's multicoating safe... but I guess that if you have a lot of clouding, you don't have much to loose.

I don't mind having them in the same room, just not close to one another...

Sometimes, CA is all that will fix something...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.