Author Topic: Ever had one of those "moments"...?  (Read 2542 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Ever had one of those "moments"...?
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
Ever had one of those "moments" when you're convinced that you've lost something really important (photography-related).....?

We're heading for a long weekend in the Lake District in February and, as I'm not someone who can cope with leaving organising things until the last minute, I started contemplating what kit I'll be taking.  It looks like the Tutone will be getting an outing.  Anyway, as that's one of the very few cameras I own that doesn't have a built-in meter, I thought I'd better track down my hand-held one.  It wasn't where I expected it to be.  Hmmm - very odd.  After an hour and a half of dismantling the back bedroom / office, it wasn't even where it wasn't expected to be, either.  This started pushing my panic button as, although I'm not truly obsessive about where every individual piece of kit is, it's all within easy reach of my desk.

After another hour's searching through the same stuff as previously, I came to the conclusion it'd gone.  That's when my beloved wife (and tripod carrier extraordinaire) said "what about the camera bags in the shed?".  By this time, it was pitch black outside and we decided to investigate in the morning.  The bags to which I refer are a small collection (ahem) of about half a dozen that Lara and I haven't used in quite a while but decided to put into storage than bin.

This morning came and we wasted no time digging the bags out of the shed.  To my enormous relief, the first bag Lara opened contained my Starlite.  Better still, the battery wasn't dead nor had it leaked. 

How about you?  Any "moments" when you thought you'd lost essential and/or expensive kit?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Ever had one of those "moments"...?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
All the time.  And not just camera equipment.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
I have had some occasions when I have lost kit out in the field. Most recent was an electronic shutter release for my Mamiya RZ67. The thing was forever falling out if it's socket and also tangling with the camera sack, then it must have snaked away through the grass one day. £40 cost only six months of use.

More expensive was losing our passports last year and having to pay for new ones. At least I managed to tidy a few draws while looking for them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:30:08 PM by KevinAllan »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
Greatest regret is probably putting a pair of Zeiss binoculars down on a rock for a minute ...

and then turning around.

And then turning round and round and round for an hours until I gave up. 

Sooo many rocks on the beach.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »
Fortunately haven't lost anything expensive, but I once dropped a lens cap from the top of a mountain in Meteora, Greece. While it was annoying to lose a lens cap, it was fun watching it bounce down hundreds of feet of virtually vertical rock :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:12:57 PM »
I loose stuff I know I had, I loose stuff I thought I had but maybe I didn't and I find stuff that I didn't know I had.  Maybe I just have more crap than I can keep track of. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
I'm convinced I've lost my mind at least half a dozen times a day. Does that count?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
I loose stuff I know I had, I loose stuff I thought I had but maybe I didn't and I find stuff that I didn't know I had.  Maybe I just have more crap than I can keep track of.

I'm with you on that, Bryan.  Odds and sods come and go. However, for me, this is a serious piece of kit and I really didn't fancy shelling out for a replacement and was getting angry with myself for not taking care of it.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »
For me, there's one thing I find really annoying is loosing an exposure chart. I have a bunch of those that I derived from Kodak literature and laminated. I know they're not worth anything but when you actually need it and you realize that it's not in your bag, it really burns my biscuits.

Loosing stuff in the darkroom is probably the worse since the place is a permanent mess...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »
I've been really lucky 3 times.

Leica M6 wearing a Noctilux in a Billingham bag on a train. Retrieved from Chiltern Railways lost property office an hour later. Phew!

A bottle of 50-year old port for a client's 50th birthday. Also left on a Chiltern train, but fortunately I realised I was one bottle short of a full commute while still on the platform.

My Belstaff jacket, left in a restaurant today (talk about topical), but already safely in the care of the office.

Oh - & I once bought a memory training course. Forgot to go to the classes.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »
Leica M6 wearing a Noctilux in a Billingham bag on a train. Retrieved from Chiltern Railways lost property office an hour later. Phew!

I left my Firebird trumpet on a subway platform one night. Got it back from the MTA police precinct (coincidentally in the same station) after someone apparently called the bomb squad and they removed it with a robot! Wish I was there to see it, but mostly I'm glad I got it back (the horn was going for about $10k at the time ... some Brooklyn pawn shop could have gotten VERY lucky...)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »
Night out having pints and playing pool in Dundee last year.  My black paint M4 + Cron 35 v4 at my side, bumped into the local tattooed/gold chained/Leather west with large logo at the back kind of Motorcycle gang on their night out. Invited myself along to document and got pretty smashed on free booze. Woke up the day after with no camera, no phone, no nothing and could not remember where it had all gone. To hung over to panic but I did that "Never, ever again" kind of promise to myself - then did the "find my iPhone" thing.  Sound from downstairs - found it stashed in the fusebox by the entrance. Got to love drunken logic. 
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »

I left my Firebird trumpet on a subway platform one night. Got it back from the MTA police precinct (coincidentally in the same station) after someone apparently called the bomb squad and they removed it with a robot! Wish I was there to see it, but mostly I'm glad I got it back (the horn was going for about $10k at the time ... some Brooklyn pawn shop could have gotten VERY lucky...)
Lucky they didn't blow it up to defuse it ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »
Cable releases for me. I've had to replace more of those than lens caps!

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
That little note holder metal clip on the back of my Linhof Technika.. It´s now on the bottom of the Grand Canyon in USA, happily enjoying its new home.  :'(