Author Topic: polaroid 500  (Read 3027 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
polaroid 500
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »
just found some old polaroid 500 film from a few years ago at a shop here.  i'm not sure if the film still works, but i've got a couple of joycams i was given to test it  out on.  is it possible to do polaroid transfers with 500 film and if so any links on a how to?

william

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: polaroid 500
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »
as far as i know you couldnt do transfers proper as 500 film is integral -i was of the understanding you needed the peel apart for transfers.   could be wrong though...i often am

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:08 AM »
yeah, i think you are right. for some reason i thought i had read this was actually peel apart film. i'll just shoot it up regular then.

william

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:25:44 AM »
i'll just shoot it up regular then.

... and then peel it apart! You may get something like this (integral's dirty little secret):

http://www.filmwasters.com/grabs/v/21/Skorj/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »
I think it was on www.alternativephotography.com that they had an article on transfering integral film... It involved cutting the whole thing apart and lifting just the emulsion if I remember. Check it out...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:23 PM »
skorj can you give me some details on how you did that. did you just cut it lift it off and then down again or on a different piece of paper? did you have to do it as it developed or could you do it at a later date?

francois, i remember that mention way back when, but the write up i found rather confusing. i'll have to go look at it again.  maybe it'll make more sense now. :)

william

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:24:27 AM »
skorj can you give me some details on how you did that. did you just cut it lift it off and then down again or on a different piece of paper? did you have to do it as it developed or could you do it at a later date?

Sure! These are split with a knife, then the positive image side is washed in warm running water to remove all emulsion and developer. The image is etched onto the front substrate, and you wash until you get your desired effect. A little to barely change, a lot to desaturate and add scratches... Skj.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »
i just gave it a try with some of the 500 expired film i'd picked up. didn't do anything that extreme just lightened them a little. i guess i was worried if i rubbed too hard i'd end up erasing the image.

william

[attachment deleted by admin]

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
i guess i was worried if i rubbed too hard i'd end up erasing the image.

Hey, you've got something though. A few more rubs and you might loose a bit more color. You can then perhaps scan as positive film? Have fun. Rub, rub, rub...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
Looks pretty decent.
How old was that film?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
thanks skorj, i'll definately be trying some more to see what i can get. the expired film tends to be very light to begin with. i have some more shots i took this same day i'll probably play around with some.

francois, the film expired in 2005.  i think i'll go back for the other roll they have.

william